When to over seed soybeans

Ncwoodsman

A good 3 year old buck
Had good success with eagle seed soybean plot this year and I have heard that it's a really good idea to overseed them in the fall to give something green underneath when they drop their leaves. My question is when would be the best time to do that? We have a big rain coming this weekend but the soybeans are still very green and show no signs of yelling yet as they are a pretty late maturing bean. Just wondering if I should try to do it now before the rain or should I wait until the leaves are yellowing somewhat?

You could try winter rye. My experience is I do best when the leaves first start turn yellow and I broadcast.
You could also wait that long on the eagles for winter rye, as it will germinate and grow at 36 degrees. “BUT” it grows slow at that temp and would really be a spring early green up.

I planted eagle beans once. Big tall green luscious beans. But they made planting rye into them difficult. After that I went with ag beans and never looked back.

You could try winter rye. My experience is I do best when the leaves first start turn yellow and I broadcast.
You could also wait that long on the eagles for winter rye, as it will germinate and grow at 36 degrees. “BUT” it grows slow at that temp and would really be a spring early green up.

I planted eagle beans once. Big tall green luscious beans. But they made planting rye into them difficult. After that I went with ag beans and never looked back.

I agree, I would do rye, it would grow better in the fall compared to beans, depending on where your located. And like Bill said, you'd have green plants in spring for them to eat.

Not Eagle Beans, but about 2 weeks ago the soil and water district came out and overseeded rye into standing beans with a drone for about the cost of seed. Not too shabby