When is it considered not crazy to start calling for spring seed?

MAybe Im nuttier than you guys...... Got wheat and oats this fall, ordered the clover cocktail in december. Frost seeded most of my spots. May frost seed the general lawn at home in a few minutes, getting some snow tomorrow, maybe just rain...... Grass is already warming up here in hudson valley NY.

I want to try a bunet, plantain, and ladino / mediterrainian clover mix this year. But, fighting the temptation. Spraying mace sedge dead this summer 1st up north first, then do a normal fall plot. Next year will be a better perennial mix.

Here’s a good resource for soil temps - not perfect but works well enough.

In my experience chicory does really well
Frost seed or over wintering in a fall mix. See below.

As for calls - I get a lot of calls and emails from Jan 15th on. People are jacked for Spring!! Never to early to call!

16295FA6-4B2F-49B5-9727-8B26BD13FEDA.jpeg

I've been abusing vitamin supplements and magnesium chloride the past couple days, so forgive me if I'm hallucinating...

Didn't someone in the past day or so comment somewhere that spring planted plantain cannot be killed?

It’s like kudzu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using english and common plantain for several years. The commercial AG plantains are different, but likely the type of plant has the same attributes. Plantain grows on some nasty stuff and a fairly prolific seeder. A whack of roundout doesn't kill it completely. Behaves like clover.

Been tempted over the past few years to nuke it out of my backyard plot with gly and 2,4D, but never did. Kind of don't mind it there anyways. I know the deer eat it. It handles browsing and mild vehicle traffic too.

Crimson clover is in plotspike forage feast and plotspike clover blend. I have used that stuff almost a decade now, never seen a crimson clover pop up the next year in NY. However, I have mowed my clover plots once a month or worse for years...... I believe crimson gets a seed head once and thats it. Could be wrong on that.

buckhunter,

whats inthat mix? Got some hairy vetch in there?

I've been using english and common plantain for several years. The commercial AG plantains are different, but likely the type of plant has the same attributes. Plantain grows on some nasty stuff and a fairly prolific seeder. A whack of roundout doesn't kill it completely. Behaves like clover.

Been tempted over the past few years to nuke it out of my backyard plot with gly and 2,4D, but never did. Kind of don't mind it there anyways. I know the deer eat it. It handles browsing and mild vehicle traffic too.

Crimson clover is in plotspike forage feast and plotspike clover blend. I have used that stuff almost a decade now, never seen a crimson clover pop up the next year in NY. However, I have mowed my clover plots once a month or worse for years...... I believe crimson gets a seed head once and thats it. Could be wrong on that.

Ok good. I was hoping I didn’t just cook that up in my head. The broadleaves have been slow to grow in my 30” of nearly no OM or biology clay. Hoping this spring treatment gets some legs.

Interesting thing I saw about getting seeds delivered by Green Cover Crop. They now have some drop off locations in MN and WI (and other states too) that let you put in your order then it will be delivered by a stated date to a pick-up point. You then make arrangements to pick up your seeds within a week-long window. For me the closest pick up point is in Northwestern MN at this time. Maybe a 2 hour drive.

Worth checking out if you like their mixes and prices.

I ordered small seeds last night finally. I picked up a few pounds of chicory and a few pounds of plantain and a pound of phacelia. I'm not ordering rye yet. Not planning to open camp for three weeks. Too much snow and stuff on the calendar yet. I am not feeling optomistic that I'll even be able to open then either. The 14-day doesn't look good for melting.

**Side note: Green Cover has chicory and plantain in stock now, but you have to type it in the search to get it to come up. If you just browse the broadleaf section, it will not show.

I ordered small seeds last night finally. I picked up a few pounds of chicory and a few pounds of plantain and a pound of phacelia. I'm not ordering rye yet. Not planning to open camp for three weeks. Too much snow and stuff on the calendar yet. I am not feeling optomistic that I'll even be able to open then either. The 14-day doesn't look good for melting.

**Side note: Green Cover has chicory and plantain in stock now, but you have to type it in the search to get it to come up. If you just browse the broadleaf section, it will not show.
What is your experience with phacelia?

I read that bees love it

bill

What is your experience with phacelia?

I read that bees love it

bill
So far so good. I planted it in early August with the rest of my nursery plot (rye, yellow sweet clover, hairy vetch and more). It came up well and grew well. It's bit of a challenge for the brain though. It looks an awful lot like a fern. I don't think mine made it to bloom though, and the deer ate all of it by the end of October.

I'm led to believe that you could kill crimson clover with a hard freeze....no? I'm looking to add some Frosty Berseem Cover to my existing clover blends....and may be in MN to frost seed this year. I like what I am reading on some of these new varieties.
Managing-Trophy-Bucks-8-8-17.pdf

The second batch of plot topper came in today. Just need to get a bag or two of rye and I’m set for spring.

323d802e93243d09e34291b94f0bb24d.jpg