When is it considered not crazy to start calling for spring seed?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I had that thought this morning. I need to assemble my spring cocktails and it is still too soon to order. But is it too soon to call? I think the safe date for my zone would be March 15th given I could plant as early as the first week of april if we had a quick end to winter.

I already ordered for my place and will be soon for the farm and my buddies' place. I like to kinda half frost-half overseed though. Thinking of seeding at least some of my place the week ending 3/18.
Getting to that point would be a major victory for my self control haha. Plus I think the seed is ok as long as you don't open it but if you want to make blends then I would wait a bit.
I always worry about places running out of the specific varieties that I just spent all winter planning out.

I spent a little time this morning surfing the interwebs for seed. I think it's time for me to order. The rest of you cretins should probably wait a couple of weeks (so that I can get my orders in first).

I just got off the phone with a seed vendor myself. Want to frost seed some things IF we get any more cold weather!! It's been a balmy winter for the most part here. I'm wondering if we'll get any more good frosts.

Already have all of my spring seed order in my barn.

I focus more on ground temps that time of spring for germination purposes.

Already have all of my spring seed order in my barn.

I focus more on ground temps that time of spring for germination purposes.
what is your indicator on ground temps.? trying to get some crimson to pop in one of my fields this year and don't really want to wait till later April to get the seed in

I may order my small seeds soon. I'm planning a top-up treatment for all my acres at frost seeding:

Flax
Plantain
Chicory
Jap millet
Collards

I've got the flax, millet, and collards. The other two I'll order in maybe 2 pounds of each. I'm also going to try phacelia again. Been doing a little reading about them and it sounds like phacelia is a good host for Syrphids (the little flies that look like bees but aren't bees). Some of the species' larvae are aphid eaters, and I have exposure to lots of aphids in the cereals. Might as well turn those aphids into fertilizer.

what is your indicator on ground temps.? trying to get some crimson to pop in one of my fields this year and don't really want to wait till later April to get the seed in

Seed companies should list planting temps. just use a meat thermometer to check temps.

Seed companies should list planting temps. just use a meat thermometer to check temps.
gotcha! I always just tried to spread seed about mid March if there was a little snow still around so it would help with germination and show me where I had seeded already!
I'll have to check on the seed temps, most of what I have bought I think has just said to frost seed or seed April-May or something not super helpful like that!

gotcha! I always just tried to spread seed about mid March if there was a little snow still around so it would help with germination and show me where I had seeded already!
I'll have to check on the seed temps, most of what I have bought I think has just said to frost seed or seed April-May or something not super helpful like that!

If you are spreading clover, better to frost seed with snow on the ground if broadcasting.

I'm led to believe that you could kill crimson clover with a hard freeze....no? I'm looking to add some Frosty Berseem Cover to my existing clover blends....and may be in MN to frost seed this year. I like what I am reading on some of these new varieties.
Managing-Trophy-Bucks-8-8-17.pdf

I'm led to believe that you could kill crimson clover with a hard freeze....no? I'm looking to add some Frosty Berseem Cover to my existing clover blends....and may be in MN to frost seed this year. I like what I am reading on some of these new varieties.
Managing-Trophy-Bucks-8-8-17.pdf
good call on that one...don't want to get those little seedling crimsons going and then get them wiped out....although a few years ago it snowed on May 9th here in PA and I am alot farther South than alot of you guys

trying to get some crimson to pop in one of my fields this year and don't really want to wait till later April to get the seed in
In speaking with a seed vendor that sells to commercial AG folks, they told me that crimson won't germinate until the soil warms to a point anyway, regardless of frost seeding it. They advised waiting until the soil warms for crimson - don't know what temp. They didn't specify. Don't know if that helps or hurts ....

In speaking with a seed vendor that sells to commercial AG folks, they told me that crimson won't germinate until the soil warms to a point anyway, regardless of frost seeding it. They advised waiting until the soil warms for crimson - don't know what temp. They didn't specify. Don't know if that helps or hurts ....
just read online that the germ temp is 42, but I think the seedlings can get wiped out if there are some cold nights/frost..might just seed my "colder-tolerant" clovers in March then wait till a bit later for the crimson

Last edited:
I may order my small seeds soon. I'm planning a top-up treatment for all my acres at frost seeding:

Flax
Plantain
Chicory
Jap millet
Collards

I've got the flax, millet, and collards. The other two I'll order in maybe 2 pounds of each. I'm also going to try phacelia again. Been doing a little reading about them and it sounds like phacelia is a good host for Syrphids (the little flies that look like bees but aren't bees). Some of the species' larvae are aphid eaters, and I have exposure to lots of aphids in the cereals. Might as well turn those aphids into fertilizer.

I haven't seen much about those seeds being frost seeded, are you pretty confident that will work out?

Being as some of my plot ground is pretty low/wet, i worry about wetter springs wrecking the rye crop from the prior fall if it doesn't dry out early enough. Was thinking a spring seeding of jap millet, alsike clover, and others might keep something growing and competing with the reed canary grass i'm trying to keep out of there. Most recommendations on the millet is to not plant it until soil warms up.

There are some germination temps posted on the web for best results with such things. I think most farmers are aware of what works in their area.....but many of these seeds are new to many us. Google is your friend. Grin

I haven't seen much about those seeds being frost seeded, are you pretty confident that will work out?

Being as some of my plot ground is pretty low/wet, i worry about wetter springs wrecking the rye crop from the prior fall if it doesn't dry out early enough. Was thinking a spring seeding of jap millet, alsike clover, and others might keep something growing and competing with the reed canary grass i'm trying to keep out of there. Most recommendations on the millet is to not plant it until soil warms up.
I've had good luck frost seeding millet, flax, and collards. I'm trying chicory, plantain, and phacelia for the first time. I threw millet into standing water that iced over last spring, and it still came like crazy, enough to snuff out the billy goat mower in 1st gear.

I've got a hunch they'll all work. Most of these seeds are weeds, and natural. They're built to resist germination until optimal conditions present themselves.

I had really good luck last year frost seeding chicory.

gAwl1FwO-AcTvCQWNJAX3zhXAysqKeQkpngRllkEde0yH4hAKoEenoPRI_mTg_V9U_hZviezFt4Kl7kn-ymMl_dgUIaIQtgEy8bopwbzAgW9ALzAjHsQC6U6B8_jQYpJJTbgM_54lKyKnMzJjyAPG9YxJbie-97evY-jMNC6etMVM3_Od_miQ6NY5dYugvCbyx6RQHJiRhKAP26TOODbOTXu9_5c86ifn2KaM0E-S0OeYSaQVbzNLlHadpOfmSXuOFTaxnvyymHK3Rpe6xiBgzOlYCowGuzYIQbWMRfEtyTTsz6CvC4xEaDtiH6mzhKNlv86-o0rDtghHjfJPYgo8Q2KTymIBN8v-J2mmwdWB21tvHYgE4guYZ6djNIZc9X4BWWOHz55JqMFxfKrsKSCAxLDt9kl3sMFSBRTFj0gSeWCm_idqV6YxW6VPzwYSDgJ9_TbK--0fXtxuALq5OKdq8zRfFG6Ubj8vysEA1_tNggzxOQAEYaLMJf1oTEYJ8DPM3pz0sL-dS43y_rzKlHZcyplE260z7SdSHnsogS49XJdO_ljbtZ3Ul6GSwAxWKHuEadvPmWKgCYe-MGPKuvUVm4HF-tJz1_uUBCsu9_EcCRQM1AYKE03gDWyC1g3hrNDK-7GCD66SPvadJycXG0wgxCujlp5FMxnyaiZF5rfopCqkjBnPlwGCew27YvtSeEcNJAUGGdB3iXJ9MTZ5RNl2TPA9LRiS5jmLYo3IuYFKLpVEoozTbz18t55VzA_qR8P9UxqFwW7XkLThTWe0ukvcN1rIwnDCEsOpWwAJPovbJM_MyohVqPaCbcy_iedmh8yG38Uh2eljQDZgM-XPFl5LL3auf3_pXVbCgV9Fw12pozlOtonZ6dzH358BNS_O8FNY38HyPDo6yb5o0e1MfwiFM3iWglb-d8RhgCrefQ2Y8USng=w1625-h914-s-no

I had drilled in some the previous September with marginal germination and over-seeded as a frost seed in March of last year. This is about 2.5 months later.

gAwl1FwO-AcTvCQWNJAX3zhXAysqKeQkpngRllkEde0yH4hAKoEenoPRI_mTg_V9U_hZviezFt4Kl7kn-ymMl_dgUIaIQtgEy8bopwbzAgW9ALzAjHsQC6U6B8_jQYpJJTbgM_54lKyKnMzJjyAPG9YxJbie-97evY-jMNC6etMVM3_Od_miQ6NY5dYugvCbyx6RQHJiRhKAP26TOODbOTXu9_5c86ifn2KaM0E-S0OeYSaQVbzNLlHadpOfmSXuOFTaxnvyymHK3Rpe6xiBgzOlYCowGuzYIQbWMRfEtyTTsz6CvC4xEaDtiH6mzhKNlv86-o0rDtghHjfJPYgo8Q2KTymIBN8v-J2mmwdWB21tvHYgE4guYZ6djNIZc9X4BWWOHz55JqMFxfKrsKSCAxLDt9kl3sMFSBRTFj0gSeWCm_idqV6YxW6VPzwYSDgJ9_TbK--0fXtxuALq5OKdq8zRfFG6Ubj8vysEA1_tNggzxOQAEYaLMJf1oTEYJ8DPM3pz0sL-dS43y_rzKlHZcyplE260z7SdSHnsogS49XJdO_ljbtZ3Ul6GSwAxWKHuEadvPmWKgCYe-MGPKuvUVm4HF-tJz1_uUBCsu9_EcCRQM1AYKE03gDWyC1g3hrNDK-7GCD66SPvadJycXG0wgxCujlp5FMxnyaiZF5rfopCqkjBnPlwGCew27YvtSeEcNJAUGGdB3iXJ9MTZ5RNl2TPA9LRiS5jmLYo3IuYFKLpVEoozTbz18t55VzA_qR8P9UxqFwW7XkLThTWe0ukvcN1rIwnDCEsOpWwAJPovbJM_MyohVqPaCbcy_iedmh8yG38Uh2eljQDZgM-XPFl5LL3auf3_pXVbCgV9Fw12pozlOtonZ6dzH358BNS_O8FNY38HyPDo6yb5o0e1MfwiFM3iWglb-d8RhgCrefQ2Y8USng=w1625-h914-s-no

I had drilled in some the previous September with marginal germination and over-seeded as a frost seed in March of last year. This is about 2.5 months later.
glad to see this as I am considering frost seeding chicory this year ...the chicory I have is in a mix with MRC so that looks to me like it should be alright!

I say that worked pretty darn well.