What to mix with Winter Rye?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I am wanting to plant Winter Rye this fall and was curious what would be good to mix with it? I was thinking peas or maybe some type of brassica. It will be about a 2 acre plot in SE Ohio. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your plan for spring and into the future for that plot? That could possibly make a difference in what you do this fall.

I plant rye, oats, peas, sunflowers, radishes with my cereal grain mix. The peas and sunflowers don't last long but they attract them, the oats and rye feed them fall/winter.

Last edited:
What is your plan for spring and into the future for that plot? That could possibly make a difference in what you do this fall.

Haven’t planned that far ahead yet. Just purchased the property about 2 months ago and am attempting to get a fall plan in place before I run out of time.

Study the LC mixes. Rye/Oats/Radish/MRC/...

I planted a mixed bag plot last weekend in SE MN - I used rye grain, oats, 4010 field peas, a little buckwheat, some leftover soybeans and some groundhog radishes. I've never planted quite that many different plants in one plot before, but I had a small amount of each variety left and decided to give it a try.

It might be a good idea to get a quick soil test to see if you need to add lime and also what kind of fertilizer to add. That might save you some money in the long run.

I like purple top turnips and crimson clover with the rye. turnips feed through fall and frozen if the deer like em, winter rye all winte graze and quick green up, crimson explodes the following spring and adds back N

It might be a good idea to get a quick soil test to see if you need to add lime and also what kind of fertilizer to add. That might save you some money in the long run.

Oh yeah, I had planned on that. My local feed store does them for $12, so worth that little but to know what I am dealing with.

I am wanting to plant Winter Rye this fall and was curious what would be good to mix with it? I was thinking peas or maybe some type of brassica. It will be about a 2 acre plot in SE Ohio. Thanks for the help.

I think there are only about 185 threads on this topic ... you can explore a bit ... :emoji_grin:

Peas? Brassica? What is you timing ... they will never mature unless you have a 60-90 window before frost.

Why not tell us what you are trying to do ... Normal fall WR planting includes clover. You get good browse able growth out of the WR and then WR & Clover explode in the spring. Broadcast PPT now and then overseed with WR & Clover ...

I would consider soybeans instead of IC peas. Both are summer forage legumes and will be attractive until you get a frost, but most coops will have left over bin-beans and broken bags they can't return. You don't need RR for this either. Since farmers don't plant beans at this time and want fresh seed next spring, you can usually talk the coop manager into selling you soybeans for much less than IC peas.

If this is your first go with the plot and you are just starting, I probably wouldn't plant brassica yet. Another option that will last longer than the peas or beans is an annual clover. Crimson comes up pretty quickly.

Thanks,

Jack