What to do to straighten tree out

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
I got two pear trees that are prob 5 year old trees. The prob I have is the central leader looks like an upside J. I obviously want it to grow upright but these two pear trees I neglected last year and it’s coming back to haunt me. I tried hammering down a 3/4 inch 10ft electric conduit pole beside it and was planning to use the rubber tree lock to get it more upright, but by the time I hammer the pole into the ground, I’m losing 3-4feet of the pole and where the tree starts to bend is like at the 7ft mark. So that idea did not work. Any suggestions or ideas?

Would it work if you pounded the conduit in several feet away from the tree and angled your "guy wire" from the bent portion of the tree to the conduit?

I have an apple tree like that as well. It is too tall for me to reach, so I leave it. It still grows apples. But other then that, I dont know if it will hurt anything other then looks? Maybe some of the pros know?

S.F - that won’t work as I thought of it today when I was there. You have to hammer that pole far into the ground because the pressure it’s taking to support the tree. If I don’t hammer it far down so it’s sturdy, it will just move. I was going to use rope and then the part that wraps around the tree I was going to use a rubber hose to stick the rope through so I didn’t injure the tree with the rope. I’m thinking about just cutting it off in the winter time but I’m not sure. It will prob set the tree back a few years. It bears fruit but I’m just bothered at the way it is. I’ll wait to see what others say.

I pounded a T-post into the ground next to one and then zip tied a pole to that to get it up high enough.

Bob, I get a lot of black bear damage to my apple trees and I do just what you're thinking with the rope to get them growing straight and tall after the bears knock or tilt them over. I use nylon rope and a small piece of old hose to protect the tree. To anchor the rope I use small auger type earth anchors.

Having deer or bears pull the tops off of 2 of our 3 pear trees ( they were sagging with fruit ) I can tell you they re-grow upward pretty well. If you want a normal shape to your pear tree, I'd cut the top off ( as Telemark said in post #3 ) and watch this year's new growth pop. Pears put on wood pretty quickly, IME.

Are they ornamental pears, and is it bending because of wind? I would think cutting the top off just below the curve might be the solution. It will send out new shoots that should go straight up, but if the wind is the cause the new shoots would likely bend also.
Can you post a picture?

I got two pear trees that are prob 5 year old trees. The prob I have is the central leader looks like an upside J. I obviously want it to grow upright but these two pear trees I neglected last year and it’s coming back to haunt me. I tried hammering down a 3/4 inch 10ft electric conduit pole beside it and was planning to use the rubber tree lock to get it more upright, but by the time I hammer the pole into the ground, I’m losing 3-4feet of the pole and where the tree starts to bend is like at the 7ft mark. So that idea did not work. Any suggestions or ideas?

Can you post a pic?

I'd also just chop off the crooked section and the tree will send up a replacement vertical shoot.

I would post a pic but I’m terrible with computers. I might just cut off the top and use the T-post and pvc pipe and use the rubber tree wrap to keep it straight and hope it continues to grow up. Thx for input guys.

I think your best shot is to straighten it by pruning off what is growing in the direction you don’t want it to. If the trunk is leaning to one side you will never turn that trunk on an established tree without damaging either roots or cambium.

It will prob set the tree back a few years

From what you describe, it probably won't set the tree back. The rest of the tree will get stronger with another annual growth ring, and the new leader should grow straight up, plus encourage new scaffolds below the cut. You should probably be pinching those upper flowers off anyway if the tree can't support fruit there.

Would it hurt anything to leave it?

Would it hurt anything to leave it?

My understanding is it will affect the growth of the tree. Pears should have a central leader that is higher than all other branches in order to grow optimally.

Thx guys for the help