What to add to switchgrass planting

j-bird

I had some NWSG drilled 2 summers ago and the switch did awesome, but the big bluestem and the indianagrass hasn't done squat. The broadleaf weeds come in between the rows of switch now and that is fine, but I am looking to add some diversity as well. The area is mainly for cover, but if the deer browse the summer forage that is fine. I also want somethign that is a perennial - don't want to mess with planting something every year.

NO SHRUBS OR TREES!

What can I overseed that will work well with a tall native grass that has a hard seed?

I am thinking partridge pea may be a good candidate, any others????

I had some NWSG drilled 2 summers ago and the switch did awesome, but the big bluestem and the indianagrass hasn't done squat. The broadleaf weeds come in between the rows of switch now and that is fine, but I am looking to add some diversity as well. The area is mainly for cover, but if the deer browse the summer forage that is fine. I also want somethign that is a perennial - don't want to mess with planting something every year.

NO SHRUBS OR TREES!

What can I overseed that will work well with a tall native grass that has a hard seed?

I am thinking partridge pea may be a good candidate, any others????
That is exactly what I am going to try this year, I just got 10# of Partrige pea and I'm going to add it to some Big blue and Indian grass.

PP is one of the best, and it is a legume to provide N to the grass. Canadian Milk vetch is another good native legume, as is Illinois bundleflower. Saw-toothed and maximilian sunflowers, goldenrod, and hoary vervain also come to mind. Perennial native blue lupine(not the European sweet blue lupine that is planted as an ag crop, even though they are mostly the same) is also a great choice as well, and it is native to IN. As much as I hate to say it, giant ragweed can also be used in this situation.:eek:

PP is one of the best, and it is a legume to provide N to the grass. Canadian Milk vetch is another good native legume, as is Illinois bundleflower. Saw-toothed and maximilian sunflowers, goldenrod, and hoary vervain also come to mind. Perennial native blue lupine(not the European sweet blue lupine that is planted as an ag crop, even though they are mostly the same) is also a great choice as well, and it is native to IN. As much as I hate to say it, giant ragweed can also be used in this situation.:eek:
I have all the giant ragweed I need - and the deer love it for a span of a few weeks then it is growing quickly. I will look into the other's as well. I have far more of it than my deer can eat so that helps. I actually don't mind it - I just want some diversity - also giant ragweed turns into a forest of sticks and lacks any cover value once the cold sets in. Below is what deer will do to young ragweed even in my area with plenty of soybeans around.

rag weed browse.jpg

That is exactly what I am going to try this year, I just got 10# of Partrige pea and I'm going to add it to some Big blue and Indian grass.
The thing I found with the big blue and indiangrass is that they are a real fluffy seed and don't broadcast worth a crap - didn't seem to germinate worth a crap even with a drill in my case. I want something with a hard seed so I can broadcast it into my standing switch.

I have all the giant ragweed I need - and the deer love it for a span of a few weeks then it is growing quickly. I will look into the other's as well. I have far more of it than my deer can eat so that helps. I actually don't mind it - I just want some diversity - also giant ragweed turns into a forest of sticks and lacks any cover value once the cold sets in. Below is what deer will do to young ragweed even in my area with plenty of soybeans around.

View attachment 4507

The thing I found with the big blue and indiangrass is that they are a real fluffy seed and don't broadcast worth a crap - didn't seem to germinate worth a crap even with a drill in my case. I want something with a hard seed so I can broadcast it into my standing switch.
Sorry , I have some Big blue and Indian grass already growing and was going to add some PP to it. Yes those fluffy seeds are a pain.

What's the ground like? super dry? medium? Have you considered plugs? A lot of "woody" type flowers that are half the time classified as shrubs would be able to provide some structure in there in the winter (not a ton, but something to stick some grass up) and some browse in summer.

Including this group, off the top of my head I'm thinking Asters (VERY VERY competitive and will be able to keep up with the switch... in lots of cases it's invasive, but in an already established grass it'll be great), cliquefoils, Part P's (as you mentioned), senna, lupine, indigo, New Jersey Tea, vetches, milkweeds (just for the overall good of the habitat, not necesarily great for deer), showy goldenrod, Joe Pye Weed (if moister soil), wild bergamot, early sunflower, prairie dock (can get up to 9 or 10 feet). Although technically a shrub, if you can get some seed for roses (rosa setigera or rosa palustrus) you could either broadcast that or get some plugs going. Prairie Moon has a lot of these seeds, also Michigan Wildflower Farm might have a lot of what you're looking for.

How big of an area are you looking at? If it's a smaller area (2 acre or less) you could establish some plugs and broadcast the rest.