what size pot for apple rootstock?

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
I plan to grow a few apple rootstocks in pots for the summer. I may graft some of those before potting and some might get bud grafted in late summer. I will try to plant them in the fall.

What size rootmaker pots should I consider to start the rootstock in? If I don't plant in the fall, should I plan to go to a larger pot then and what size?

Thanks.

Save yourself the $ and throw them in the ground. Those pots are expensive and not necessary.

I don't want to mess with pots but the locations they are going to are not ready yet. Those that can be planted this spring will be planted. Those that can't need pots.

I like the 5 or 7 gallon roottrapper bags.

How much are the 3 gallons almost more than the cost of a tree. Sure u can reuse them but it kinda takes away the point of grafting

What about the root pouches they are a little cheaper and suppose to air prune too anyone have experience?

What about the root pouches they are a little cheaper and suppose to air prune too anyone have experience?

I used some last summer. They worked as advertised. I do have a bunch of brand new 7 gallon ones if someone is interested in buying them send me a PM. They are bigger than I need for my purposes.

My perforated bottom 5 gallon buckets did great last year. Made for super easy planting when the time came too. Two years would result in roots needing some help at the edges, but after one growing season they were just below the surface of the resultant "plug". I'll be using them again for starting plants that need more care than I can give them out in the woods.

What do you guys do with these pots come winter? I can't leave a potted tree above ground over winter and have it survive. I have to bury all my potted trees for them to live, which turns out to be more work in the long run.

I planted mine before the ground froze. It was either that, or bring them inside and have to keep them tended all winter (no thanks!).

Does anyone start their grafts in raised beds and dig them the next spring? Anyone know about how big the rootball would be in 1/8 in b118 stock? I plan on callin the nursery and asking too.

My perforated bottom 5 gallon buckets did great last year. Made for super easy planting when the time came too. Two years would result in roots needing some help at the edges, but after one growing season they were just below the surface of the resultant "plug". I'll be using them again for starting plants that need more care than I can give them out in the woods.
Jim- do you mean the roots did not reach the bottom of the pail?

Do you have a picture of the roots? No circling?

Anyone know about how big the rootball would be in 1/8 in b118 stock? I plan on callin the nursery and asking too.

That will vary. 1/8 is going to be more challenging to graft. So you might find it necessary to grow them out for the summer before grafting.

I grew mine all summer in 3 gallon nursery pots. They did real well. They are getting planted to permanent spot this winter.

Does anyone start their grafts in raised beds and dig them the next spring? Anyone know about how big the rootball would be in 1/8 in b118 stock? I plan on callin the nursery and asking too.
Yup
0A33B165-CEA7-4C3E-9C32-4FD442AD8C36.jpg

Jim- do you mean the roots did not reach the bottom of the pail?

Do you have a picture of the roots? No circling?

The root pictures are on the fb group. Roots went to the gravel on the bottom, and straight out to the bucket sides. No circling was found on any of them (and I checked over half when I planted).

What you have those in dipper used straw bedding? Looks like you retain your roots well in that do you have any transplant shock that you can tell? What's everyone using as potting media making your own? I switched my order to 1/4 in hopefully that will be easier to graft with.

Thanks

Daniel

I used gravel on the bottom for drainage, then half compost/topsoil in the rest of the bucket for a plug about 8-12" deep (give or take after settling).

This spring/summer we'll find out how well they relocate, but I have high expectations given that the majority of the roots have no idea the bucket is gone and they're in the earth now. The "plug" ensures that the tree is isolated from any injury when transplanted.

IMAG1277_1.jpg

One of the roots for Art:
IMAG1278_1.jpg

Looks good, Jim.
I have 2 of those trees in roottrappers that I am going to plant this spring.

Did the plug come out of the bucket easily or was there a little struggle involved?