What Silky Model and Pruners? Any other equipment?

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

I'm going to end up spending a bit up front to get the equipment I need to take care of my trees.
My list:
1. Grafting supplies (knife, "tree wound dressing", sharpening kit)
2. Pruning supplies (saw, pruning shears)
3. Beer can tree tags

I am looking into getting a nice saw that I can use for making nice cuts while pruning, as well as helping cut branches while placing and squirrel nesting treestands. My neighbor has the zubat, and he loves it. I have looked online and I'm kind of interested in the sugoi (spelling?) model. It is supposed to be able to be sharpened by a file. It is also longer than the zubat. What models do you all have or have heard good things about? I know most swear by their zubats, but I just don't hear much about the other models.

My second question is about pruning shears. I know felco is a great brand, and I'm looking at getting a pari of the F-13's. Is it worth spending the extra $20 to get felco's instead of Corona? I know Corona isn't the same quality, but is that as much of an issue with pruners as it is with knives and saws? Are there any other brands you would suggest (Bahco maybe?)

Is there anything else that you all can think of that I'm missing?!?

I have 3 silky's. Absolutely love them all. I have a zubat 240, zubat 330, and the 179-39 21' extension saw. All amazing, can't say enough about them.

For hand pruners I have the Felco #2, they are great as well. Make sure you get the leather holster, well worth the $15 or whatever. I need some new lopers, i'll probably get some Bacho. Great reviews from Maya and others on here and the price is way better than Felco.

I also like this lubricant for my pruners.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A36VDQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Order placed! I got the felco 2's a zubat with large teetha and a pocketboy with medium teeth. I think the zubat will be used for my orchard trees that are 40+ years old, and for tree stand stuff. Once I get my scions and it starts to warm up a bit, I should be all set to go!

I love my Silky Tsurugi. It is worth every penny. However, for those of you with the silky pole saws, 400 dollars is a lot fofr a pole saw donut you agree.

However, for those of you with the silky pole saws, 400 dollars is a lot fofr a pole saw donut you agree.

Just so long as the wife doesn't find out...............:D

The 21' pole saw I have was around $275. Yeah, it wasnt cheap but sometimes it's nice to buy a well made product that works very well rather than 5-10 crappy ones over the course of my life at the fraction of a price and then have it fall apart when you need it most. I bought my silky handsaw and loved it, when I needed a pole saw the choice was obvious.

How stiff is the SIlky pole saw. I bought a pole saw at LOWES this weekend for about 70 dollars. The blade is great, but the fiberglass pole is really too flexible to use fully exteneded (about 17 to 20 feet). I am glad I got it even if I get a Silky because my farm hand can use it. If he uses it there is a 65% chance he will break it while hauling it around on the Polaris.

My neighbor bought one (the same one that introduced them to me) and it's pretty darn stiff. He's got the one with the yellow handle.

I see the 20' saw on line for $359 that is a lot better than $514 from Silky.