What kind of Crab is this?

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
This is a crabapple that my dad got from the PA Game Commission probably 20+ years ago. The only thing he remembers is that it was a called an asiatic crabapple. The apples are very small. less than 1". The deer eat them but the turkeys love them. He planted some at our family camp in northern PA and we have pics of turkeys sitting in the branches eating the apples. It also holds apples throughout winter. Just wondering if any of you apple experts had an idea of what it is?

crab 1.jpgcrab 2.jpgcrab 3.jpg

We have a ton of these from the PA game commission that my grandfather and I planted 30 years ago. They are all similar to yours but all seem to be slightly differnt. Some of the crabapples are red, yellow, green or a combination of. I assume they are just crabapple seedlings that are a crapshoot as to what exactly it will be at maturity. The wildlife do in fact love them, especially the turkeys.

He has a bunch of volunteer trees that grew up over the years. I'm going to snag a few this spring.

I wonder if they weren’t just seedlings from crabapples.

Im guessing an ornamental Asian crab, does it typically have really nice long blooms?... a lot of times when the fruit hangs later especially with the ornamentals they are a bit more bitter till they dehydrate and concentrate any flavors. Bred for long blooms and fruit to hang in a "showy" manner not often initially preferred by wildlife till late winter when its survival over death.

Its good that the critters like them; thats all that matters ..... open up around it a bit and let it thrive.

Not saying thats what you for sure have Im just guessing by what you have said. They look russeted too.

That is a pear. Put a camera on them to see if they are being used. Top work them into something useful this spring if nothing is eating the fruit. They are usually very astringent in my experience. They make great rootstock. Just be sure to cut off all of the sprouts under the graft.

after further research and double thinking Im switching my vote, should have known better as I said they looked russeted.... at least they do have that young russeted pear look. I just didnt think pears set that many in tight clusters like crabs do.... but apparently they do and they look a lot like some of the pear photos I just looked at.

But..... they look a lot like crab apples too and if others have them from the same PA game commission ..... so I could change my vote back.... maybe

You guys ever use those apps to take pictures of leaves to identify the tree? I’ve used PictureThis, and it’s not super accurate, as far as identifying cultivars, but it could probably tell the difference between an Apple and a pear.

The app said Callery pear, aka Bradford

Attachments

• 14ED246B-08C9-4EEB-95F1-4D644F751FCA.jpeg
    14ED246B-08C9-4EEB-95F1-4D644F751FCA.jpeg
    750.7 KB · Views: 11
Leaves and fruit are clearly pear. I've yet to see apple leaves turn orange in the fall

PEAR. Fruit on these stays very small. I had one in my back yard for about 30 years. Callery / Bradford pear has been tagged as invasive in some locales because of seeds being dropped by wildlife. Some places won't allow you to even plant them anymore, FWIW. If you keep it, look for "baby" pear trees popping up everywhere. I had them all through my lawn. My pear tree met the chainsaw a few years ago.

It definitely has spread but not to the point I'd call it invasive. My dad has had them planted in the yard for maybe 25-30 years and there are a handful that have sprung around them. That sucks that they're Bradford pear. I was looking forward to transplanting a few this year.

So I just reached out to the Game Commission and asked them if they sold Bradford pears back in the day. And they got back to me right away that yes they did. So that's more than likely what it is. Thanks everyone. I'm sure my dad won't cut them down but at least I didn't transplant any. I have enough invasives to deal with as it is.

It definitely has spread but not to the point I'd call it invasive. My dad has had them planted in the yard for maybe 25-30 years and there are a handful that have sprung around them. That sucks that they're Bradford pear. I was looking forward to transplanting a few this year.

They make good rootstock if you're interested in grafting to a more useful pear.

They make good rootstock if you're interested in grafting to a more useful pear.
I did want to try grafting this year.

I know nothing about grafting. I have a few pears already. Can I graft any pear to it or only certain kinds. I believe I have a Kieffer, a Moonglow, and one other. I can't remember off the top of my head.

I know nothing about grafting. I have a few pears already. Can I graft any pear to it or only certain kinds. I believe I have a Kieffer, a Moonglow, and one other. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Should be able to graft any type