What is your oldest buck?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have had a handful of 8.5 year old bucks over the years. How do I know they have been bucks that carried some unique antler characteristic every year. But, I don't think I ever had one make it to 9.5. I had an 8.5 year old last year and found his sheds in March. I just put out cameras last week and time will tell if he is still alive. He has been darn hard to kill. He isn't a giant, but he has been really easy to photograph most years. I know some will be mad for me asking but what is the oldest buck you think you have had?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two 5.5's is as high as I go. Deerage.com.

I'd feel bad shooting an 8.5 year old. It would be like picking up chicks in the nursing home. :D
Seriously though even 1 that old is doing something.

4.5 is the oldest buck we've ever had that we knew of - we had an old 8 point- that could have been older but we could never know for sure. Except for a very few bucks - we are only ever estimating anyhow.
We do have a Piebald doe that we know with certainty how old she is - this Fall will be her 9th hunting season as she will be 8.5 years old come November. She lives in very close proximity to camp - but she is 100% wild and often a ghost - Our camp has made her off limits (180 acres) - and she's been passed plenty of times - but the neighbors have her on their hit list - yet she's still kicking!

here was our oldest buck that we knew was 4.5 - we've had bigger antlered bucks. This one was never the biggest one, except maybe this last year.
Big%20Boy%208%20Closer%209-16-12%20Large_zpsnz5htc34.jpg

Tall%208%20point1%207-24-12%20close%20Large_zpsutyvwhlb.jpg

Here is our Piebald doe that we have come to revere and respect -

IMG_4208_zpskns0usnx.jpg

IMG_4209_zps8pgt7ol8.jpg

here she is this summer at just over 8 years old - with at least 1 fawn.

piebald%20with%20fawn%206-17-16_zpsaadxogqg.jpg

Last edited:
FH...good to see you here. I have always been intrigued by Patches...so much to learn from her. I saw a trail cam pic the other day from a friend of a big mature 6...made me think of Chris. I have to check in over at ANA some time soon.

5.5 is probably the oldest that I can verify with trail cam pictures. Which is ancient for where I hunt, by the time they reach that age the poachers have them found.

I shot a doe that the biologist at the check station said was between 6 and 8, maybe older. As for old bucks, I plead the 5th :confused:.

Pleading the 5th means 3 or 9 ha ha

I had one last year I was fairly certain was 7. He has been on the farm since before I bought it and I found his previous years shed the first year owning. Assuming that shed was his second year (no way it was from a yearling) then adding that all up had him at 7 this past season. Last year was also the first time I ever laid eyes on him during the season. He beat me again!

Let me see if I can get some pictures up...

Let me see if I can get some pictures up...

Late November of 2014...guessed him at 5.5

37465e5ea4401e06b371af9222e3b75f.jpg

He came back last year (2015) and then disappeared first week in October.

f82cb6a948b2e0972d3128d50876436f.jpg

0004d8972975e84dd87fd04db12a2a1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10.5 years old for me. We've missed some chances at him as he has been photographed in daylight on cameras and I shoulda had him at 4 but glad kinda glad I didn't as it's been awesome seeing him progress over the years.

Here is a link to the thread that has pictures from when we first saw him in 09 to this past season.
http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/guess-the-age-of-this-wi-buck.4796/

This deer was I believe 7 or 8 last year. Had a few chances to shoot him but I wanted my son to get him. Last day of bow season last year we had him at 60 yards but light faded and season ended he was just out of crossbow range for my son. He has never had a big rack and his left ear is floppy so he is easy to pick out. The first picture is of him last year. The second picture is of him this year. He is the one off to the left not the deer in the front. I am sure I will get some better pictures of him in the next couple weeks.

Attachments

• _20150919_145646-480x616.JPG
    _20150919_145646-480x616.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20160726_072633693_HDR-800x450.jpg
    IMG_20160726_072633693_HDR-800x450.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
The buck in my avatar is 7.5 according to deerage. I had 5 years of photos of him.

The oldest buck I've killed that I knew at the time of releasing the arrow was 9.5 years of age. He had a fish hook of a G2 on his right side since 1.5. So, he was easy to tell. I shot a public land buck that was reported at 9.5 from the tooth. Last year I believe I shot one that was older. I'd named him Gerry 3 years before, when I got his first pic, as that was short for geriatric. I didn't think he'd make it through that winter, his body was so broken down. He lived on neighboring ground and only came over a couple times during late season that first, 2nd and 3rd year (getting his pic a couple times each year). I arrowed him last year and never thought to yank a tooth. I don't pretend to honestly know how old he is, but he looked ancient to me 3 years before I killed him, if that means anything.

As a side note, the reason I answered is just because I have a weird feeling WT is hoping that others have examples of older deer living, because of something he may have on his ground.

My son had his last archery buck jaw sent in and aged at 4.5. We were sure he was 5.5 from sightings over the previous seasons.
69efc6274b99ec5a5ec3168ee1b789c1.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Oldest buck I've shot was 10. While he was in the 190's at 4 he was 205 at 10. I had a 'legend' on the ranch that died at 14 last yr. Interestingly his biggest rack was when he was 4. I'm taking off for 2 week vacation today or I'd post pics. maybe wen return.

Oldest buck I've shot was 10. While he was in the 190's at 4 he was 205 at 10. I had a 'legend' on the ranch that died at 14 last yr. Interestingly his biggest rack was when he was 4. I'm taking off for 2 week vacation today or I'd post pics. maybe wen return.

Baker,

You got my interest peeked now. An 806NT with the lift assist off (good idea by the way - going the same), and having shot a 10 year old. Good deal my friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cdy00043.JPG

This one is 7. I shot him at 9 when he went down from here. he was a 184" 9 pt still w all the kickers