What is this?

j-bird

I got this in one spot in a fence row and I'm trying to figure out what it is. I hope it's something positive and not more invasive garbage...... I thought it was some sort of dogwood, but now I don't think so, but I think the unique "seed" will help identify it.

Leaves....
unknown 1.jpg

Stem/trunk:
unknown 3.jpg

"Seed", leaves & stems (forgot to rotate):
unknown 2.jpg

Seed:
unknown 4.jpg

That's an Eastern Wahoo.

Everything about that is going to be incredibly beautiful as you go further into the fall. Those pods and leaves will gradually turn beautiful colors.

It's also a great native wildlife shrub. Deer will browse it and birds and insects get a lot of use. It is very similar to strawberry bush (same family) but somewhat different.

One big difference is that Wahoo can get to be 25 feet tall, but you will rarely see a strawberry bush over 6 feet tall. I think Wahoo is more useful as a multi stemmed shrub like yours appears to be in the pictures.

Last edited:
That's an Eastern Wahoo.

Everything about that is going to be incredibly beautiful as you go further into the fall. Those pods and leaves will gradually turn beautiful colors.

It's also a great native wildlife shrub. Deer will browse it and birds and insects get a lot of use. It is very similar to strawberry bush (same family) but somewhat different.

One big difference is that Wahoo can get to be 25 feet tall, but you will rarely see a strawberry bush over 6 feet tall. I think Wahoo is more useful as a multi stemmed shrub like yours appears to be in the pictures.
Wahoo???? Wahoo is a fish! This is what the internet says a wahoo is.....see the fish?.....it took me a while to see the fish!
wahoo.jpg

I've been call a Yahoo before, but this ain't about me!

After follow-up on the web.....that appears to be it. Thanks native.....now I have to figure out how to make it spread. Main reason is.....it's right under a power line and sooner or later the power company will cut the crap out of the plant I have. I can keep it trimmed up and maybe they will leave it alone, but I like shrubs and if this is a native one and this is the only one I am aware of that I have but if it's a good shrub I can find some other places for it. Do you know if it will grow from a cutting? I read that ALL parts of the plant are toxic to people????? I will try to keep an eye out for mature seeds and see if I can't get them to grow as well.

Last edited:
Wahoo???? Wahoo is a fish! This is what the internet says a wahoo is.....see the fish?.....it took me a while to see the fish!
View attachment 20263

I've been call a Yahoo before, but this ain't about me!

After follow-up on the web.....that appears to be it. Thanks native.....now I have to figure out how to make it spread. Main reason is.....it's right under a power line and sooner or later the power company will cut the crap out of the plant I have. I can keep it trimmed up and maybe they will leave it alone, but I like shrubs and if this is a native one and this is the only one I am aware of that I have but if it's a good shrub I can find some other places for it. Do you know if it will grow from a cutting? I read that ALL parts of the plant are toxic to people????? I will try to keep an eye out for mature seeds and see if I can't get them to grow as well.

I bet you used Yahoo to find that Wahoo...…………………...

My wife doesn't allow me to look at those kind of Yahooooo or Wahoooooo pics.

Not sure about cutting propagation. I did already know that the berries were toxic to people but had never though about the other parts of the plant.

Good luck with it. Maybe you could just keep removing any large shoots and keep it a small shrub and perhaps the power company would not see it as a threat. However, I agree that getting it growing in a safer place should be a goal.

I don't have a Wahoo on my farm, but I do have strawberry bush. It gets eaten well.

Last edited:
I bet you used Yahoo to find that Wahoo...…………………...

My wife doesn't allow me to look at those kind of Yahooooo or Wahoooooo pics.

Not sure about cutting propagation. I did already know that the berries were toxic to people but had never though about the other parts of the plant.

Good luck with it. Maybe you could just keep removing any large shoots and keep it a small shrub and perhaps the power company would not see it as a threat. However, I agree that getting it growing in a safer place should be a goal.

I don't have a Wahoo on my farm, but I do have strawberry bush. It gets eaten well.

Just a picture of a fish! And no.....I used google!

John tells me that cuttings should work. So I will give it a try. I'll try to get some seed if I can as well. Not too worried about the deer browsing it as much as I am for the cover aspect. I think I'm going to try a little project where I'm going to grow a shrub patch. or place some between some other trees I have planted. Right now my list has wahoo, elderberry and grey dogwood on it. All sourced form other areas of my place. I am sure the list will expand as I find or get access to other stuff as well.

It was certainly unique to my place and in a bad spot so we will keep it trimmed up and see what we can do.

Just a picture of a fish! And no.....I used google!

John tells me that cuttings should work. So I will give it a try. I'll try to get some seed if I can as well. Not too worried about the deer browsing it as much as I am for the cover aspect. I think I'm going to try a little project where I'm going to grow a shrub patch. or place some between some other trees I have planted. Right now my list has wahoo, elderberry and grey dogwood on it. All sourced form other areas of my place. I am sure the list will expand as I find or get access to other stuff as well.

It was certainly unique to my place and in a bad spot so we will keep it trimmed up and see what we can do.

Take a shovel and go in around the outside of the clump and cut straight down around some smaller shoots - going deep and cut off a piece of the roots. I have started many different shrubs that way and it is almost foolproof. Even if the shoot dies, the clump of roots will usually pop out more shoots in a short time. This is best done in the fall, but might work other times. The roots store a lot of energy. This is very similar (although not exactly the same) to the process of layering. It works well.

Take a shovel and go in around the outside of the clump and cut straight down around some smaller shoots - going deep and cut off a piece of the roots. I have started many different shrubs that way and it is almost foolproof. Even if the shoot dies, the clump of roots will usually pop out more shoots in a short time. This is best done in the fall, but might work other times. The roots store a lot of energy. This is very similar (although not exactly the same) to the process of layering. It works well.
Sounds like I have a few different options..... I looked up the "layering" as well and may give that a shot as well.