All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Can anyone tell me what variety this might be,it taste like a pear IMG_0162.jpgIMG_0162.jpg

Looks like a wild pear

It’s an Asian Pear. There are lots of different ones, and size can vary. Some are wild and some are named varieties. That one is very similar in appearance to Gallaway that WG sells.

qS7rsRY.jpg

Last edited:
I have 6 different varieties of Asian pears and that is definitely one. They all look similar but if it gets very large it’s probably Olympic

Asain Pear.

Three possibilities as I can see by the lintels (dots). Best to get a picture of it when ripe, if it isn't yet, and compare it to pictures on the web.

1. Yoinashi - New variety.
1.png
Season: Mid
Size: Large to medium
Color: Golden-brown-buff. Off-white flesh.
Taste: Good flavor. Tender, crisp, juicy.
Storage: Good. Up to 3 months.
Pests/Disease: Trees appear to resist bacterial canker but are very susceptible to fire blight.

2. Shinseiki
Cross of Nijisseki ("20th Century") x Chojuro ("Plentiful"). Japanese selection introduced in 1945.
2.png
Season: Early
Size: Medium
Shape: Globular, lop-sided
Color: Green to yellow-green to bright yellow, smooth. White flesh.
Taste: Sweet, slightly tart, firm to rock hard, crunchy, course, juicy
Storage: Excellent, 3-5 months
Fertility: Self-Fertile, but more productive with another pollenizer
Pests/Disease: Fire blight susceptible, but some have moderate resistance
Notes: Fruit hangs on the tree well.

3. Ichiban Nashi
3.png
Season: Early. Ripening ahead of 'Shinseiki', 'Shinsui', and 'Kosui.'
Size: Large
Color: Light gold to brown. Russet.
Taste: Sweet
Storage: keeps poorly

Unless its a seedling!

Last edited:
Looks like either a Hosui or Chojuro Asian Pear. I have them on my property, produces tons of fruit every year.

It looks like an Asian pear to me, too.

Two weeks ago I found a patch of wild fruit trees in a neighbor's fence row. One of the trees is a wild apple that bears fruit looking very similar to my Olympic Asian pears. Can you spot the apple in this picture? 20190825_073722.jpg

Wow, that tree is loaded! Are those a named variety of apples?

I think he's showing a pear tree, Benja. Not apples. They DO look like some wild apples I've seen though. Russeting types of apples have that "bronze" look to them.

Are there any Asian pears that would do well in a climate like that of Juneau?

It looks like an Asian pear to me, too.

Two weeks ago I found a patch of wild fruit trees in a neighbor's fence row. One of the trees is a wild apple that bears fruit looking very similar to my Olympic Asian pears. Can you spot the apple in this picture? View attachment 25864
The two fruits that are still hanging are my Olympic Asians, the one I'm holding is the wild apple. I was surprised by the level of similarity these different fruits achieve.