What is it

CooterBrown

5 year old buck +
What is this. I've got it everywhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210820-111429.png
    Screenshot_20210820-111429.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
Marestail (horseweed). Some can be glyphosate resistant.

At our place it is completely gly resistant. Got it under control through diversity and soil shielding. If you disc you might try Libery beans and the appropriate herbiced.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So its not good deer forage?

Someone said on another forum it was goldenrod. Does that sound right?

Try the picture this app, awesome at identifying plants.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Someone said on another forum it was goldenrod. Does that sound right?
Hard to tell from the pic. Are those white flowers at the tips? Marestail has white. Goldenrod has yellow. Also, Marestail leaves are hairy.

It looks more like goldenrod than marestail to me, but it is hard to tell from this picture. Marestail generally has a little thinner stems and leaves than what you have pictured.

If it’s goldenrod ignore my previous post. I'm on my phone can't see the pic well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PictureThis

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hard to tell from the pic. Are those white flowers at the tips? Marestail has white. Goldenrod has yellow. Also, Marestail leaves are hairy.
I dont see any flowers

either way - it's not great deer food.

I am very weed tolerant, but Marstail is one of the most difficult noxious weeds to get a handle on. If you mow too early, it will flower again below your mower height and go to seed. If you wait too late to mow and it goes to seed, you have an even bigger problem. Even if you mow at the right time so it doesn't go to seed, it can sprout the next year from the root system. Gly won't touch it as it is naturally resistant. You can get some limited control with 24D Amine or Ester if you get it when it is young in the spring, but it is limited and you have to wait after using it to plant many crops.

What worked for me was to do a burn down in the spring with a Liberty generic (I think mine was interline) followed by planting a smother crop of buckwheat or buckwheat mixed with sunn hemp. Then burn down with Liberty again in the fall before planting a fall mix. Marestail is not a cool season weed and does not interfere with the fall crop, but it helps the following spring.

I don't worry about a healthy mix of weeds, but when a single noxious weed dominates a field it is a problem. Using gly makes the problem worse. It kills other weeds, some of which are great deer food, and favors Marestail.

Thanks,

Jack

Looks like golden rod to me. Was it mowed? Looks like multiple stalks as if it was mowed and branched out.

It’s golden rod nothing to worry about. Makes fantastic honey and deer do eat it. Not what I would plant but it’s native in all of our soil and the first thing to grow if tilled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure does look like mares tail but then again we don't have goldenrod.Yep use interline if you can find it if not you will have to buy ignite or another liberty product.

I also say golden rod. Deer love making beds in it. Marestail has thinner leaves.

The easiest way for a novice to tell the difference between goldenrod and marestail before they flower is to look for hairs on the stem. Marestail has plenty of them, and goldenrod has practically none. Of course, as already mentioned, the leaves of goldenrod are much wider and the flowers are very different.

At first glance I thought golden rod too. If it is it is great for bees and bunnies.