All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens when you prune the tip of a long branch

Once planted, I've avoiding heading off the central leader. I let the trees get as tall as they want unless I have to correct something, replace a damaged leader or whatever. I've just done my best to remove the competition for the leader and get to good scaffolding.

Reminds me that I wanted to order one of those long handled pruner tools we talked about the last couple years.
I have one and it’s awesome. It’s japanese and is about 4 or 5 ft long. Works really well

When should I score the central leader. In winter,when tree is dormant, or growing season ?
Thanks

This is what I found when looking for a time as to when for you... you can do a quick search under scoring or notching the central leader for branch development.
  • Initiate branching: score six to seven weeks before bloom or before bud swell.