What did you kill your first deer with for a weapon?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
I used a Winchester 94, 32 Special. I won't say how many shots.

Remington 721 in 30-06.....and I still have the shoulder bruise to prove it. (they kick like a mule)

My brothers Remington in .308.

Remington 700 .243. Still have the gun. My son used it to take his first one too. It was a gift to me from my dad when I was about 13.

I still have the gun, also.

Dad killed about 65 deer with it. Before age caught up with him, he shot running deer with it. That was in the days of deer drives and he also did a lot of subsistence hunting in the '30's.

Remington 700 .30-06. Was a hand me down gun from my father. Hope to watch my son take his first deer with the same gun in a couple years.

Thompson Center Hawken .50 muzzleloader, squeeze the trigger and pray.

Remington Model 74 "Sportsman" Auto 30-.06 165gr Remington "Core-Lokt". Tried to get them for a couple years with other guns, but I had no luck with any of them. The first year I hunted with a break action, modified choke 12 ga(can't remember the make) with 2-3/4" Rem. Sluggers. 2 shots that year, not a hair severed. Second season, .30 Carbine, again no idea on the make of the gun, that peep sight sure was a treat in low light. Fired a couple shots with that to no avail. 3rd season was when I got my brand new shiny "big boy" rifle. I can't remember how many deer I have shot with it over the years, my godson has it now, as I have recently purchased a nearly unfired Remington Model 742 .30-06 which I am sure will last me until I am no longer able to hunt. And I still use 165gr "Core-Lokt" for my go-to deer hunting cartridge.

Harvested my first deer at 11 years old, used a 45# Bear recurve. It was around lunchtime, the guys were gathered on the porch Bs'n away, stories I had heard countless times. I had grown tired of the ramblings of one of the guys in particular, drunken drawl. So I hopped up off the porch, grabbed my bow and headed out towards the overgrown orchard/ chicken coop area. Guys quipped as I left " good luck" I could hear them chuckle. So as I went through a hedgerow cut, I paused, and looked up at one of the apple trees, loaded with ripe fruit, so I made my way slow and quiet. As I neared the tree I could see a tail flicker through the sticker bushes at the base. Heart started pumping, took another step and noticed the head down, facing away from me doe. Took another step, she raised her head and shook some flies away, swallowed some apples, and put her head back down, oblivious to the impending peril. I got another step, and found an opening big enough to get a shot through so I stopped, got my stance right,drew, took aim and let the arrow fly. Honest surprise hit me as I saw the arrow hit her and she jumped up, and got tangled in the stickers! I didin't know what to do next, so I ran back to the guys, still bull chitting away, Kinda yelling " I got one" Caught a few yeah rights, then one of the guys noticed an arrow missing on my quiver. I got several more deer with that bow before ever harvesting one with a gun.

Marlin 30/30, a great gun for the sub-100 yard shots you typically get in the forested mountains of VA.

20 guage Ithaca Model 37 with front and an adjustable rear sight. Ithaca was the 1st shotgun to sell barrels with this option.

My brother and I received a model 94 32 special from my uncle when I was 8 years old before he passed. I fired a few shots at some deer with the 32 special when I was very young that I shouldn't have but never shot one with it. Ended up shooting my first deer with a Remington model 700 30-06, the scope ended up getting me above the eye as well, but it took me a while to notice :).

Harvested my first deer at 11 years old, used a 45# Bear recurve. It was around lunchtime, the guys were gathered on the porch Bs'n away, stories I had heard countless times. I had grown tired of the ramblings of one of the guys in particular, drunken drawl. So I hopped up off the porch, grabbed my bow and headed out towards the overgrown orchard/ chicken coop area. Guys quipped as I left " good luck" I could hear them chuckle. So as I went through a hedgerow cut, I paused, and looked up at one of the apple trees, loaded with ripe fruit, so I made my way slow and quiet. As I neared the tree I could see a tail flicker through the sticker bushes at the base. Heart started pumping, took another step and noticed the head down, facing away from me doe. Took another step, she raised her head and shook some flies away, swallowed some apples, and put her head back down, oblivious to the impending peril. I got another step, and found an opening big enough to get a shot through so I stopped, got my stance right,drew, took aim and let the arrow fly. Honest surprise hit me as I saw the arrow hit her and she jumped up, and got tangled in the stickers! I didin't know what to do next, so I ran back to the guys, still bull chitting away, Kinda yelling " I got one" Caught a few yeah rights, then one of the guys noticed an arrow missing on my quiver. I got several more deer with that bow before ever harvesting one with a gun.
My first bow kills were with a Bear recurve. My first kills were with a rifle.

I owned a Herters recurve bow back in the 60's. Pretty short bow and pretty stout draw. Used it one season.....and found I didn't have the patience for bow-hunting. I had no passion for a bow.....guns are more fun and make more noise. :D

I owned a Herters recurve bow back in the 60's. Pretty short bow and pretty stout draw. Used it one season.....and found I didn't have the patience for bow-hunting. I had no passion for a bow.....guns are more fun and make more noise. :D

A bow (and now a crossbow) give me more time to sit in the woods. I no longer really intend to shoot anything, but just to be there. I guess the X-bow is along if I change my mind. I want to hunt as long as a possible and prefer to shoot a young'un near the end of season with a rifle.

A life time trophy could change my mind, but I do not worry about it.

My dad's 30/30 Marlin lever action which my mom have me when he died. I don't use it now but it's an awesome gun and I bought one of my own a few years later which I gave to my nephew and he snot his first deer with it and still uses it today

Marlin 30/30, a great gun for the sub-100 yard shots you typically get in the forested mountains of VA.
Amen to that. Lots of knockdown power shirt distance

Remington 700 .30-06. Was a hand me down gun from my father. Hope to watch my son take his first deer with the same gun in a couple years.
It's the gun I use today and I love it :)

Winchester model 120 12 gauge slug with a improved cylinder choke ( no slug barrel) accurate out to about 50 yards as a 12 year old!! No one showed me how it worked except for my fire arms instructor. It took me 2 years to save up for it. Got my first deer on my first year. My dad got his first deer about 3 or 4 years after me. No one in my family deer hunted before me. Long long learning curve.

Load on Sunday.....and shoot all week? LOL Art....Can you tell us how many rounds were left in the gun when the shooting stopped? :D