what can i use here?

Powder

5 year old buck +
I have a field that I've planted sugar beets in. Things have started to grow but I'm not sure if they are beets or not (see page 5 of the sugar beet thread for close up pics). I'd like to give it a chance to grow out and see if they really are beets.

The field has a lot of ferns and grass growing in it. Can I spray clethodim on it? I know it's safe for the beets and will kill the grass but will it take care of the ferns? The picture below shows what I'm talking about. If the ferns and grass are eliminated I think it will open things up nicely for the what I'm assuming are the sugar beets. The beets are not RR.

field.jpg

cleth won't kill the ferns, only kills grasses. I saw your other post, lots of raspberry, some bunchberry, ferns....... possible burdock... not sure I saw beats. my pick for fall plant would be crimson clover, Purple top turnips, and some winter wheat. simple boadscast over the top of that a day before a good soaking rain.
less impact than driving over it with a sprayer, not enough non desireable there to bother the next crop. The crimson would lock in some N over the fall, winter and spring. PTT food for fall, and after frost. WW some green for the deer as winter draws in.

There's about a half acre part of this field that has not been planted but was sprayed on the 22nd. I intend to go with ptt, radish and rape. I do have some bin run oats that I may throw in too. I hate to give up on the beets on this side of the field if they are really there. I had considered spraying this part with gly and starting over.

Ferns indicate low pH, low fertility soil...sugar beets are some of the most demanding plants you can grow. I don't expect they will do too well, if you've still got lots of ferns. Sugar beets can't tolerate competition well at all. Winter rye is your best friend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk