What am I looking at? "woods weeds" :)

Electrodigical

Yearling... With promise
I didn't take this picture with the intention of posting it anywhere or trying to find out what this stuff is, so no close ups. I simply took it to remind me of the spot.

It's a "Greenus junkus growaloticus" , NY Catskill mountains weeds 😉

I ran across the one spot in the woods where something was green and growing, decided "it's in the general area I want to be in, this is a good spot to start a mini kill plot, it's already getting a little sun, and it has a couple good trees for bow stands." This is where I "drill and fill" killed (hopefully) some trees to start opening it up a bit more. First to light, eventually remove some of the trees themselves as time allows.

Original thought was it didn't matter what it was, I was going to kill it anyway. But there's another small section adjacent to it that I'll probably leave alone, at least for this year for sure. So mostly out of curiosity. It's ankle deep stuff, you can see a grass patch for scale.

IMG_8212 copy.jpg
IMG_8212.jpg

Circaea lutetiana canadensis

Looks to me to be Jewelweed aka touch me not

Looks to me to be Jewelweed aka touch me not

That was my second choice. It's one of the two. Hard to tell for sure at that stage of growth.

That was my second choice. It's one of the two. Hard to tell for sure at that stage of growth.
Completely agree. I saw your first comment after posting and thought “well hell, if anyone knows, it’s Native!” But yes, hard to be definitive at that young stage

Completely agree. I saw your first comment after posting and thought “well hell, if anyone knows, it’s Native!” But yes, hard to be definitive at that young stage
The only reason I went with the other plant is because it looked like a ridge top, which is usually too dry for Jewelweed - but some ridge tops can be moist too.

Reactions: DJN
Picture this saying it’s jewel weed but I can see a couple of things besides that in the photo. I know the one but cannot think of the name at the moment

Not a ridge TOP per se, to my back is several hundred yards of flatness. Off to my right, a slight uphill grade.

Part of a very short section of "logging road", though for the life of me I can't think of when or who would have made it. A local poaching trees 30+ years ago I suppose.

Anyway... the terrain sort of channels rain water through there apparently. Between the two goal post trees in the center, it drops off a bit, you can see where the rain water runs down. I'd like to put a water hole just down there but the ground the area is atrocious digging, all shale. It would take days on end to do by hand.

If that does end up being Jewelweed, the deer should browse it really well. If it’s Enchanter’s Nightshade, they probably will ignore it.

If it’s Enchanter’s Nightshade, they probably will ignore it.
I'm more inclined to think it is.
For a few reasons. And because that's just my luck. 😁

Next time up I think I'll kill the one section and part of the other.

I'm more inclined to think it is.
For a few reasons. And because that's just my luck. 😁

Next time up I think I'll kill the one section and part of the other.
And once the plant flowers, it will be easy then to tell what it is.

That's the problem with the long distance relationships, there's next time and there's too late.