What’s the best plan of attack

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I have a 5 acre field I’m going to attempt to plant in a couple weeks. Right now it’s just a fallow grass field. Prior to me owning it this year it was hayed. I sprayed it this spring and again Friday. It’s a pretty dense stand of grasses and a few forbs. I rented a drill from the nrcs for the last weekend in August (I have a baby due 9/10 so I’m limited on times). Honestly I’m second guessing the drill now. I’m not sure I can get it to this field given the poor road condition currently and the fact it’s a 10’ drill on a 53 hp tractor.

So I’m left with most likely just broadcasting wheat and maybe rye. My plan is to converting the whole thing to alfalfa in the spring. It’s a total of 8 acres but I have 3 in vetch currently and will just broadcast some wheat into that part too but won’t terminate the vetch this fall.

My question is what is the best chance to get some germination? I don’t have time to disc and pack this field. A 6’ disc and packer will take me a month. I honestly don’t know want to mow it but I could consider. It will be super time consuming but I could run 2 tractors with two bush hogs if I can get my pops to help. After I broadcast is it imperative to mow? I know not to expect much but some food source would be helpful to bridge the gap till I can do it right.

If you're strapped for time I'd just get a good kill (sounds like you're probably already mostly there) and spread rye and a brassica. Skip the mowing and see what happens. Something will grow. Different areas I know, but I've never tilled a plot. Pray for rain. Congrats on the baby and good luck!

What did you plan on drilling and have you completed soil tests in preparation for the alfalfa? I would think you should either cut it or roll/crimp it after broadcasting cereal grains.

If you have a sod to where you can't see the dirt, it's going to be tough without putting the seed in or on the soil. Even a light discing would help a bunch. If you have a good kill, I wouldn't bother mowing again. I'd throw double the oats or wheat recommended. Then, run the disc over it fast multiple times just to break the sod open. Then, pray for rain.

What did you plan on drilling and have you completed soil tests in preparation for the alfalfa? I would think you should either cut it or roll/crimp it after broadcasting cereal grains.
I was just going to drill wheat to give me some food this fall/winter. I’m getting my ducks in a row now for the spring. I hope to have my own drill by then.

If you have a sod to where you can't see the dirt, it's going to be tough without putting the seed in or on the soil. Even a light discing would help a bunch. If you have a good kill, I wouldn't bother mowing again. I'd throw double the oats or wheat recommended. Then, run the disc over it fast multiple times just to break the sod open. Then, pray for rain.
Ok thanks. So maybe instead of the time to mow it, just set the disc pretty straight and run over the field quickly to cut open some dirt.

I have a 5 acre field I’m going to attempt to plant in a couple weeks. Right now it’s just a fallow grass field. Prior to me owning it this year it was hayed. I sprayed it this spring and again Friday. It’s a pretty dense stand of grasses and a few forbs. I rented a drill from the nrcs for the last weekend in August (I have a baby due 9/10 so I’m limited on times). Honestly I’m second guessing the drill now. I’m not sure I can get it to this field given the poor road condition currently and the fact it’s a 10’ drill on a 53 hp tractor.

So I’m left with most likely just broadcasting wheat and maybe rye. My plan is to converting the whole thing to alfalfa in the spring. It’s a total of 8 acres but I have 3 in vetch currently and will just broadcast some wheat into that part too but won’t terminate the vetch this fall.

My question is what is the best chance to get some germination? I don’t have time to disc and pack this field. A 6’ disc and packer will take me a month. I honestly don’t know want to mow it but I could consider. It will be super time consuming but I could run 2 tractors with two bush hogs if I can get my pops to help. After I broadcast is it imperative to mow? I know not to expect much but some food source would be helpful to bridge the gap till I can do it right.
Can you burn it and then broadcast?

Ok thanks. So maybe instead of the time to mow it, just set the disc pretty straight and run over the field quickly to cut open some dirt.
Yep, the only problem is if the grass is so thick that it wraps up in the discs. But, if you do light, quick passes, it goes easier. If it's broken down good from the kill, it goes even easier.

From what you described, I think mowing would hurt more than help. It would be too much thatch on top of the seed. I would broadcast wheat heavily and then drive over the field pulling a bushhog down low but not mowing. The bushhog will help work the seed down to the ground and push the dead thatch down just a little. Be sure to do this when it is dry so that the seed don’t stick up too high.

Last edited:
Can you burn it and then broadcast?
In a perfect world yes, but with little precious time between now and then it would probably be tough to pull off

In a perfect world yes, but with little precious time between now and then it would probably be tough to pull off
If the thatch is dead, wouldn't burning be the quickest way to ensure seed to soil contact? You could be broadcasting an hour after you light the first match.

If the thatch is dead, wouldn't burning be the quickest way to ensure seed to soil contact? You could be broadcasting an hour after you light the first match.
You’re probably right. I have very little help though. So the idea of me burning a 5 acre field solo scares me a bit. I’m gonna stew on that idea though cause i like it

Why not plant the alfalfa when you put this plot in?

I get the apprehension to burning. I've been a part of 3 fires that nearly got bad, and that feeling is awful. If you've got a disc, maybe you could disc a big enough perimeter to contain it, and then also cut it into quadrants to make the burns smaller.

You expect any winter grass/weed problems?

There is a imi tolerant wheat. Could plant that and clover and spray with 4 oz of pursuit at planting.

Also throw some 13-13-13 on it. The nitrogen will help break down the thatch. I like to fertilize heavy the first year or two, then stop using fertilizer

Why not plant the alfalfa when you put this plot in?

I get the apprehension to burning. I've been a part of 3 fires that nearly got bad, and that feeling is awful. If you've got a disc, maybe you could disc a big enough perimeter to contain it, and then also cut it into quadrants to make the burns smaller.
Cause I plan on doing it “right”. Amending the soil and discing and packing smooth. And then drilling the alfalfa for a nice clean stand. I hope to have it for many years so I will bite the bullet on the initial install.

Also mow now. Then mow again at planting. I don’t see a problem with drill

Cause I plan on doing it “right”. Amending the soil and discing and packing smooth. And then drilling the alfalfa for a nice clean stand. I hope to have it for many years so I will bite the bullet on the initial install.
Even more reason to get all the pasture grass killed right the first time

You expect any winter grass/weed problems?

There is a imi tolerant wheat. Could plant that and clover and spray with 4 oz of pursuit at planting.
Probably cool season grasses if I had to guess. My assumption is it’s some type of fescue amongst other things.

Once the grasses are dead and dry, you could put your FEL in float mode and run the bucket very low to the ground while discing. This might just knock enough grass down to improve light transmission and the discing may further knock the grass down..