Wet Feet, Wind and Hail damage, a Bark graft & a Suprise or Two.

greyphase

5 year old buck +
With Sandbur's talk about wet feet on another thread I thought I'd show you a "mistake" I made. Three years ago I planted an Antonovka seedling from SLN near my vernal pond. At the time the pond was smaller but this year has been especially wet (3 1/2 inches in the last 2 days) so the pond as grown and now she definitely has "wet feet". I grafted a Black Oxford scion to her last spring that took and she seems to be growing this spring. Hopefully the water will drop in a few days and she can start to dry out. It will be interesting to see if she can survive and prosper in this location.
6-12-14004.jpg

We had a big storm go through Wed nite with high winds and hail. A tornado touched down 6 or 8 miles from my place, a very rare occurrence for my part of Pa. The nursery took some damage from the hail but hopefully the trees will bounce back.
6-13-14001-1.jpg

6-12-14018.jpg

The biggest damage was to an old Blue Pearmain apple tree that I had planted 30 some years ago down along the lane. She never produced that good of an apple but the deer like them and I was sad to see her laying there across the lane.
6-11-14038.jpg

But as I waded in to clean her off the lane I saw that she hadn't broken off but as just leaning heavily. So with a severe "pruning" I believe she will go on producing apples for the deer to enjoy.
6-13-14002-1.jpg

As I started to cut down the mess of honeysuckle and pole timber sized sumac and cherry surrounding her I found this.
6-13-14005.jpg

Where this apple tree came from I don't know. Possibly a seedling of the old Pearmain , it somehow grew in the thickly shaded tangled corner. It has a few apples on it and will benefit greatly from the additional sunlight it will now get.

As I was checking for storm damage in the horse pasture I looked in on a bark graft that I had done on a wild seedling apple tree with some Williams Pride scionwood that I had left over. Happy to see that my first attempt at bark grafting was a success.
6-12-14009.jpg

My last surprise came when I was checking the nursery this morning. A Court Pendu Plat grafted on April 1st to a B118 rootstock finally woke up. So boys don't give up on those sleeping scions too soon.
6-13-14005-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing the experience!

I wish I could stumble upon a fruiting apple tree. :) I'm positive I don't have any though.

I've got 6 "sleepers" like that. I thought Crazy Ed said sleepers are the first ones to dry up? Mine also have that brown color on the tips, I'm guessing that's a bad sign? You do have some grafting skills, looks good.

I have had some sleeper scions as well, not sure how they will fair in the long run, but glad I didnt remove them. Thanks for the mini tour GP.

I wish I could stumble upon a fruiting apple tree. :) I'm positive I don't have any though.

The furthest north I have found a wild apple tree is about 7 miles south of Brainerd.. It had crabs about 3/4 inch in diameter. There are probably wild trees in the northeast along Lake Superior and to the west of Brainerd. I have not found wild trees to the north of Brainerd.

Well Rick a few set backs but plenty of positives too. If you need more Black Ox scions there are plenty more where those came from! I think your tree will pull through, i'm curious to see the results. I don't have experience with wet feet, it's absolutely impossible on our property. water runs right through it.

Art, I'm 10 miles SE of Brainerd off CR22. I've already been through my whole lot a few times and have never found apples.

I did throw out some crabs from a neighbors tree for the critters a couple years ago, so maybe I'll get some yet, but I fully expect to be planting the apple trees I end up with.