Well it’s about that time.

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
First year as a new property owner. Lots of blood sweat and tears. Soil isn’t the greatest but got all the amendments down as per soil test results a few months ago. Seed has arrived. Yeah it’s too much seed but it’s a slope and I want to seed more heavily and keep a certain amount on reserve (I’ll reseal and store all seed carefully)for some frost/spring seeding for any spots that don’t take well this fall. 994DBB96-CEF0-4D73-BBB3-757081D34F5F.jpeg

And opinions on the mix I went with after Lot of reading and phone calls?

The 50 pound bag is winter rye grain

Looks like lots of good stuff there! I hope Mr Big comes in to the salad bar!

Are you putting it all in the mix together??

It will be on this fall! Nice selection of deer candy.

Yes I plan to make it all a mix. The crimson and the balansa are annuals. So while I may not get a long term stand outta them my hope is for variety and soil building bc the ground isn’t sufficient yet. Between those two and the rape/grains as annuals as well I’m hoping to give the dirt a good boost this first season. The white Dutch is hard to kill so the thought there was should we get hot weather come next summer I should have a good mix of clovers and chicory to ensure some form of food. From what I gather via Merit seed as well as others is that my selection will compliment each other and will not compete or negatively affect one another.

I love oasis chicory!!!

How much seed coating is on that Merrit seed? You may not have quite as much seed as you think. When I ordered from there the seed coating was around 50%. Just curious is all.

I’ll
How much seed coating is on that Merrit seed? You may not have quite as much seed as you think. When I ordered from there the seed coating was around 50%. Just curious is all.
I’ll have to look later when I get home

Is merit a nationally used food plot seed company? I literally work 5 miles from their door and get my stuff there. I'm neighbors w/ John in the office.

their Deer Max and Ultra Max have been pretty solid for me in the past.

Is merit a nationally used food plot seed company? I literally work 5 miles from their door and get my stuff there. I'm neighbors w/ John in the office.

their Deer Max and Ultra Max have been pretty solid for me in the past.

I would imagine they are? I’m from NJ and the amount of people who use them here is pretty substantial. I was going to go with welter but Merit has a couple things available that I wanted to try and I’ve heard good things about them.

I would imagine they are? I’m from NJ and the amount of people who use them here is pretty substantial. I was going to go with welter but Merit has a couple things available that I wanted to try and I’ve heard good things about them.
Nice,

I guess I know if I need good seed I'm not far from it. I go to church with the 2nd or 3rd generation guy who owns the place

No problems with Merit. Been using them for years

Just for the record I don’t have an issue with them either. Shopping was fine and the one time I spoke via phone it was also fine. I was just pointing out that some of their seed is coated up to 50% coating.

So if you plant 5#s of coated clover with 50% coating you are actually only planting 2.5#s of clover. More of a FYI than a complaint. This seed also germ tested at 85% so that would be 85% of 2.5 lbs. That could be a issue for a guy expecting 5 #s of seed to germinate. 130CE490-FD3E-40B0-95CE-364F45A7C46A.jpeg