Well Im loosing another apple tree.

BC Buck

5 year old buck +
I noticed one of the few apple trees that was looking good leaning. Planted 2014 and had nice shape and good growth for my orchard. No evidence of rodents. Soil firm with thin layer of lime stone not disturbed. Tree felt loose just under soil and lifting looks like only one root still attached. Tied it tight to cage so wind cant blow over. This was a enterprise. Any thought what happened.

Gophers?

Might have to go "Caddyshack" on his ass........

bill

or Voles

Sounds like voles

Voles. Got several of my trees over the years.

Last edited:
I hate voles!!!

Here we need vole control even with wire guards they will feed below ground in tunnels near the surface , Use a bait in pvc tubes to protect birds voles love the tunnel of the pvc and find the bait protected out of the weather

Ouch, hard work lost to rodents is the worst!

Voles are a PITA !! My wife lost some flowers here at home to the little b***trds.

Does chili powder help?

Does chili powder help?
No,,,, They may like a little spice with their bark and roots ,, If you don't want to go poison route you could look into a product called Plantskydd , we use it here for deer repellent on some things we grow and label claims vole repellent but cannot confirm effectiveness it does work as a deer repellent costly but works is blood based and will give some fertility with it.

Chilly powder may work don't know ,, just hate voles

I have gophers on my farm and they are nothing but trouble. I don't mind gopher activity out in the middle of nowhere but not near my trees. The local Coop as well as some creameries will sell gopher pellets that work very well. These pellets work much better than the ones you get at the local hardware or farm store. For gophers you find a main tunnel, punch a small hole to drop your pellets and your done. This works well as the pellets are underground and away from any other animals/pets.

For gophers we use a combination of pellets and trapping , our pellets are restricted use and work well , old fashion trapping when near edibles

Here's your fix come pick up soon before the gf names them and I'm stuck with them. I hated cats until that mama showed up. Has daily kill pile trophies of mice, voles and small bunnies. Was a little irritated when she learned how to use the dog door and come inside the house but she earns her keep so gets a pass.

Attachments

• 20180413_121736.jpg
    20180413_121736.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 20
If she starts bringing feral hogs, Ill take the whole litter.........

bill

Here's your fix come pick up soon before the gf names them and I'm stuck with them. I hated cats until that mama showed up. Has daily kill pile trophies of mice, voles and small bunnies. Was a little irritated when she learned how to use the dog door and come inside the house but she earns her keep so gets a pass.
Gotta respect a good hunter. Female cats are better mousers than males. They catch more than they need to eat because they feel obligated to dump some off on your front porch for the kittens... even if they don't have any.

We had 3 stray kittens show up last fall and my kids & wife essentially adopted them despite my objections. I hate to admit it, but it was the best thing that could have happened because they completely eliminated our problem with mice getting into our house. Lately they have turned their attention to voles and have been killing tons of them. I had no idea there were that many voles around, but their numbers are dropping quickly.

My cats bring their prizes to the front yard to show me, baby rabbits, mice, & voles. It's a working love/hate relationship. :)

Research voles they claim one pair can generate hundreds of offspring in one season the young of this spring are having young before next fall and will repopulate your area from adjacent cover