Weight loss of a buck during the rut

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I was looking back through some old pictures today and found these. I think this illustrates the weight loss a buck can go through during the rut - even this far south with plenty of fall food around.

Dates on the pics are correct. I passed a shot at this deer in 2012, and can't wait to see him in 2014. He did make it through gun season. In 2012 he bedded on my place, but in 2013 he bedded on the neighboring farm, because two other more mature bucks kept him pushed off, but he continued to use my place at times.

The grown up area behind him in the second pic is where the deer I took in 2013 was bedding.

That's a nice looking buck. He is starting to show a little sway in his bell. Hope you meet up with him this fall!!!

Now imagine that deer dealing with -30 degree temps and 30"s of snow beginning in December-the end of March. We had a 5.5 year old buck score 136" last year, where we've shot 170" 3 year olds. It appears to me a buck won't loose mass or width after a hard winter. Even with 10 points and a 18"spread, a buck with 4" tines isn't going to score much. They are survivors though.

He lost a bunch of weight running the ladies. His body looks like a 1 1/2 year old in the second pic.

that boy was busy over that 5 week span....and he probably had another week or so of running around after that last pic! Amazing critters!

Now imagine that deer dealing with -30 degree temps and 30"s of snow beginning in December-the end of March. We had a 5.5 year old buck score 136" last year, where we've shot 170" 3 year olds. It appears to me a buck won't loose mass or width after a hard winter. Even with 10 points and a 18"spread, a buck with 4" tines isn't going to score much. They are survivors though.

Hoping the bucks do better this year. The deer I have seen around Antigo look a lot better this spring than last.

The one I really wanted to check the weight loss on after the rut was the one below, but he either got shot, moved, or died of a heart attack. Check out the BLUBBER on this one. Don't really know how he got through the barbed wire fence...LOL.

He prolly just plowed through the fence haha. My 80 lb lab ran straight through a fence once. It was old and rusted though. 8 staples later she was good to go:confused:. I think I would name him battle tank.
I have some good pics of rut weight loss i will try to get posted later this ev.. Its crazy

He prolly just plowed through the fence haha. My 80 lb lab ran straight through a fence once. It was old and rusted though. 8 staples later she was good to go:confused:. I think I would name him battle tank.
I have some good pics of rut weight loss i will try to get posted later this ev.. Its crazy

Glad your dog was okay Jordan. That could have been bad.

Post rut in Jan. This 4 or 5 yr ol war horse is worn down!MFDC3955.JPG

pre season in augMFDC1036.JPG

Good one Jordan. That ole boy has been busy too....