weed id

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
have a few of these popping on the margin of a plot...

I also have been seeing these plants all over the place in my area. seems to always be "waste" areas, disturbed areas. They look like turnips or radishes to me. I have tried to pull some up but they always break right at ground level...they definitely have a long tap root/tuber under them. I will be breaking out the spade tonight to try to get one out of the ground!

The first one is catchweed bedstraw. Outside of a food plot I actually like to see it because it does have some deer forage value - although not a great deal. I wouldn't want it in a plot for sure.

I'm drawing a blank on the second one. It seems like something I know, but I'm gonna have to dwell on it.

The first one is catchweed bedstraw. Outside of a food plot I actually like to see it because it does have some deer forage value - although not a great deal. I wouldn't want it in a plot for sure.

I'm drawing a blank on the second one. It seems like something I know, but I'm gonna have to dwell on it.

thanks NH! good to know about catchweed bedstraw. I haven't noticed any browsing as of yet, but will definitely keep an eye on them.

I have googled some images of wild radish and have found some similar looking plants as the third pic in my OP. not quite the same tho. I was able to pry up a couple of the smaller ones along the edge of my yard. I tried to rinse some of the dirt off...just had a half empty bottle of water handy so it didn't get a whole lot of the dirt off. that a piece of 4x4 pressure treated lumber on the edge of my raised bed garden they are lay across for reference.
photo1.JPG

Wild parsnip....some nasty stuff. Be careful working around/with it, the plant juice reacts to sunlight and you end up with blistered skin.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/herbaceous/wildparsnip.html

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wild parsnip&qpvt=wild parsnip&FORM=IGRE#a

thanks Stu! that is good to know....i must not have gotten any of the bad juice on my hands while attempting to pull up quite a few to look at the roots.