Weed ID

ChadS

A good 3 year old buck
So we are letting 18 acres of farm field revert back to Young Forest\Bedding.

I am so interested in everything that is coming up and would like to know what everyone uses to identify weeds??

I look online and have a real hard time finding anything with good pictures to relate to?

Here are some examples of a couple weeds that were the second to take over.

The fields were corn last year and we frost seeded clover and it is just covered under all the taller weeds.

Some of it is getting covered with rust.

So far so good.

I am going to sprinkle in some Crab Apples, Plum, Persimmon (Try to anyways), and all kind of Oaks we find growing.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_2817 (wecompress.com).JPG
    IMG_2817 (wecompress.com).JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2818 (wecompress.com).JPG
    IMG_2818 (wecompress.com).JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2819 (wecompress.com).JPG
    IMG_2819 (wecompress.com).JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 69
Last pic is ragweed. My deer go nuts over it. One year. I had an acre of RR beans inside an e fence. I didnt get to spray when I should have and the ragweed took off. It was probably 30% of the plot. When I let the deer in, they didn't touch the beans until they were done hammering the ragweed. Its a weed I welcome.

If anybody can point you in the proper direction on the best reference materials for "weed" identification....it would be Native Hunter. You may want to send him a PM ...super nice guy and smart as a whip when it comes to plant ID.....I would not be surprised if the man has his own book on the subject matter! Also don't be afraid to pester your local USDA field office/county extension... The big thing is clear crisp pictures of as many details as you can think of, sometimes it's the smallest details that make a difference.

That’s what I thought, but it looks too spindley , if that makes sense. The last time we had Ragweed, the deer came from miles around to eat it. As of now they are not going crazy on it. Underneath it looks like I have Smartweed.
I guess we will jus wait and see what happens. The frost seeded clove is coming in under all this, so we will get a couple years out of it.
Can’t wait to see the procession.
Thx

The last pic is ragweed.

.......and it thrives.......nation wide..........

bill

Agree with common ragweed for the last pic. Banner year for it and most other annuals in my area.

As J-bird said, little details can make a big difference in weed ID. I see a seedhead with awns but nothing else. That could be a grass or broadleaf weed. My first thought when I looked at it was "Awned Barnyard Grass" but there are other possibilities.

See the pictures in the link below and look how the lines in the stem look the same too. Also enlarge photo 7 of 12 for a good comparison.

https://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/weeds/data/media/Html/echinochloa_crusgalli.htm

Last edited: