Weed ID and chemical please?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
This stuff is spreading fast....taking over my clover patch. First time I been able to get back to this plot due to high water. Im not sure if this is Chickweed? or ? Spreading toward a nice clover / chicory plot.....and I need it gone. I assume I can hit it with some Clethodium. Want to do this tomorsow. Can you ID this for me? Thanks. (the second pic is of the adjacent nicer clover / chicory plot that this is threatening.). Help!

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    841 KB · Views: 59
Grass is a hard ID. What is the site like? Is it wet? Have you limed it? Sandy? What's the difference between that spot and the good clover?

Grass is a hard ID. What is the site like? Is it wet? Have you limed it? Sandy? What's the difference between that spot and the good clover?
It's real wet where this grass is the worst. That is why I have not been there till now. Really rich soil here too. Good PH and all....just wet until now. At this point.... I'm planning to spray it with cleth today.

It's real wet where this grass is the worst. That is why I have not been there till now. Really rich soil here too. Good PH and all....just wet until now. At this point.... I'm planning to spray it with cleth today.
Wild guess, but I think you've got the same grass I've got where I've limed well, and it's wet. I'm not married to this idea, but the distribution, site characteristics, and prevalence lead me to this. There seem to be a gazillion hybrids of this as well. Book says you've got about 75% chance with cleth. Short of raising your soil up out of the wetness, I don't know that there's a solution that ain't gonna call for iron or chemical. If you do get a handle on this, I'd be afraid sedge is the likely replacement after it.

1655472681857.png

The broadleaf in the greener picture (on the right) looks like Plantain. If you pull one of the leafs off at the stem you will get strings at the break.

Wild guess, but I think you've got the same grass I've got where I've limed well, and it's wet. I'm not married to this idea, but the distribution, site characteristics, and prevalence lead me to this. There seem to be a gazillion hybrids of this as well. Book says you've got about 75% chance with cleth. Short of raising your soil up out of the wetness, I don't know that there's a solution that ain't gonna call for iron or chemical. If you do get a handle on this, I'd be afraid sedge is the likely replacement after it.

View attachment 43923

Years back, I had a patch of heavy, wet soil. I sprayed with roundup and scattered a clover blend that I had. That area is now full of sedge. It seems like that area got some gypsum , also.

Sedge was present and took over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk