We are in the wrong business - antlers as chews for dog

j-bird

I was at the pet store tonight - killing time before a movie. They had sections of elk antler roughly 6" long about the diameter of a broom stick for sale for $15 or more! They claim they are shed antler, but I guess they are to have some benefit to the dog. Obviously I didn't buy one - I could toss rover a shed of my own for that price. This has got to be some yuppie thing. I just stood there and shook my head.

They sold the crap out of Pet Rocks and Pet Nails at one time!:D

Why not Antler Dog Chews!

Never heard of the pet nails. Saw lots of pet rocks on the shelves. Anyone remember the roll out food plot?

My beagle loves chewing on shed antlers more than he does regular bones. What they charge for antler pieces in the pet stores is a joke. I got a few sheds from a couple 1.5 yo elk my brother found, a small 3x side and a bit larger 4x side. Dog loved them, now my dad has to bring some back with him every time he visits. I have never found any sheds worth displaying(and I don't personally see the allure anyway), so my dog gets every one I find as well.

It's like $15 for a small 4-6" section not even a full shed. My mutt isn't allowed near mine....she has a bite force of several hundred lbs per sq inch....so she makes short work of them.

When I moved into my house I had all my antlers in a box in the garage. One day I found a part of an antler on the driveway and figured my black lab had just found it somewhere but no he was sneaking in there and grabbing them out of that box. He loved them just never thought of making $ on them.

Another perk of the farm..10-$16.00 a pound. Cant keep them in stock in the ritzy city pet stores.. Its hard to not sell when you have the dog chews and the antler chandler people begging for them.

Four seasons - I don't want to stir anything about the farm, but I do have a question. Do the antlers have to be "shed"? Reason I ask is if harvested deer antler is still of use for this purpose (beside the legal issues - strictly functional). Do you know what it is about them that makes the dog interested in them? Are the beneficial to the dog?

Four seasons - I don't want to stir anything about the farm, but I do have a question. Do the antlers have to be "shed"? Reason I ask is if harvested deer antler is still of use for this purpose (beside the legal issues - strictly functional). Do you know what it is about them that makes the dog interested in them? Are the beneficial to the dog?
Residual animal smell...and very high in calcium. Canines chew bones as a means to help clean their teeth as well. All sorts of animals chew on them in the wild.