We’re back but still not 100%

I own a software company. I feel for you Bill. Drawing the risk/reward line for maintaining uptime is not easy or clear cut.

Thanks Bill

Thanks Bill

this one was all John. Above my pay grade. When it was down we could get in the back side of the software for a short time. No lie the only thing I managed to do was delete my account and get locked out :emoji_scream::emoji_face_palm:

Thanks guys!

Did the page catch COVID? Down a few days then right back to normal sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to John and Bill for everything. Glad to see us up and going again.

Glad you are back up. I work in IT and it's not fun when the database crashes.

Ha.
Long story kind of short. Last September our host contacted John and said we were using to many resources on the server. One of those deals where we were in a server with bunches of other sites.

John upgraded to a big server where we had the bulk of it for our use. Uploaded the site to it.
The DNS numbers never got changed to point to it. So it has sat idle while we remained on the little server. We were sucking 95% of the resources so they pulled our plug :emoji_astonished: un announced on Sunday.

Monday he changed the DNS to point to the big server and all the past past years activity wasn’t there.

That’s when the shit storm started.....

but all’s we’ll, that ends well.
John only lost 3 nights of sleep :emoji_disappointed_relieved::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The other forum had a thread saying you sold out to QDMA-SD.

Thanks for hangin' in there everyone and sorry for the delay. As is usually the case it was human error (mine back in September of 2019). It just took a while to catch up to me. Everything seems to be running pretty well right now. We will try to keep it that way :emoji_smirk:

-John

Ha.
Long story kind of short. Last September our host contacted John and said we were using to many resources on the server. One of those deals where we were in a server with bunches of other sites.

John upgraded to a big server where we had the bulk of it for our use. Uploaded the site to it.
The DNS numbers never got changed to point to it. So it has sat idle while we remained on the little server. We were sucking 95% of the resources so they pulled our plug :emoji_astonished: un announced on Sunday.

Monday he changed the DNS to point to the big server and all the past past years activity wasn’t there.

That’s when the shit storm started.....

but all’s we’ll, that ends well.
John only lost 3 nights of sleep :emoji_disappointed_relieved::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That is why I quit Godaddy! They have a clause in the agreement that says if the "feel" you are impacting other sites they can shut you down. They could not tell me specifically what I was doing that they didn't like. "Unlimited" does not mean unlimited. It means whatever they want it to mean.

I took a deep dive into options. I found that for a windows environment, the best bet was a hyper-v solution. There are a number of hosting sites with much more reasonable pricing that godaddy. The nice thing about Hyper-v is that you can't interfere with other on the server as a fixed amount of resources are dedicated to your copy of the OS and crashing the OS only affects your OS and not others on the server.

I was fortunate in that I had stopped managing websites that were being used by the general public just before the Godaddy debacle. I ended up just using a Window 10 computer to host the sites I still manage. They are small private sites that use a lot of resources. For example, I've got many thousands of game camera pictures on the site for our farm that all of our hunters have access to. Fortunately, only a handful of folks have access to these sites. Windows 10 can support all the web server functionality of Windows Server but is limited to 10 concurrent users. This is not an issue with the web sites I'm hosting.

Thanks again to John and his commitment to providing the resources needed for a site like this with no commercial advertising. It is truly a public service to the hunting and habitat community. Thanks to you and the other moderators as well!

Thanks,

Jack

Thank you John and Bill for all you do/have done keeping this forum going. May your good karma show up soon in this year of 2020.

The other forum had a thread saying you sold out to QDMA-SD.

Pppffft!
someday we might get to old Or to tired but we’ll post the battalion for the next to take it over.

Pppffft!
someday we might get to old Or to tired but we’ll post the battalion for the next to take it over.

And I don’t know which forum that is. Probably a good one. But I bet they have ads and click bait all over. We don’t do ads, click bait or deer bait.