Way too early summer scouting

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
I normally don't start "scouting" quite this early. One of my nephews is starting to get into hunting and was up for going so we decided to check out the new farm I just bought in March as well as our neighbor's bean field next to the home farm. For the new farm, I had no idea what to expect. We have seen a few from the road but was pleasantly surprised how many deer were finding the fields recently brought into production. Hopefully some of these guys will stick around when their range shifts this fall.

Below are some of the better shots if you don't want to watch the video.

Attachments

• 1 buck.png
    1 buck.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 3 bucks.png
    3 bucks.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1226.JPG
    DSCN1226.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1231.JPG
    DSCN1231.JPG
    426.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Wide 8.png
    Wide 8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • wide bucks.png
    wide bucks.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Great deer - those midwest deer just have so much more mass than our deer.

They don't have to stick around if you like one. Kill him on the first afternoon of a cold front in September right in that bean field.😉
"If we get a Sept cold front"

Sometimes its just a temp drop after a thunderstorm which is deadly.

They don't have to stick around if you like one. Kill him on the first afternoon of a cold front in September right in that bean field.😉
"If we get a Sept cold front"

Sometimes its just a temp drop after a thunderstorm which is deadly.
Kind of like you did with Lucky?

I was actually planning on doing just that with one of the wide ones. His core range must be around the center of the farm. I have seen him in daylight at least half a dozen times over the past year.

Great deer - those midwest deer just have so much more mass than our deer.
In this particular area, it is probably 1/3rd timber, 1/3rd pasture, and 1/3rd ag. The deer basically want for nothing for most of the year. I was surprised how many mature bucks I saw in just two nights.

I'd be pretty darn excited iff'n I saw those fellas first summer on a new farm. Just 1 YOs on the one cell cam I have at my place thus far..

I'd be pretty darn excited iff'n I saw those fellas first summer on a new farm. Just 1 YOs on the one cell cam I have at my place thus far..

Same on my new place and, despite knowing better, it’s eating me alive because it’s so far away and a hearty investment.

The next challenge will be the long game of waiting for some to grow. I have a long way to reach my mature buck target objective from the youngins present now… and not sure I am capable of that patience.