Warm Boots for Treestand hunting

Boots alone won’t keep you warm on long cold hunts. I put the $2 hand warmers in the toes and I can stay out all day.

I've had a couple different brands of 2400 boots that have been ok, but now I wear Muck Boots Arctic Ice. They're insulated all the way to the top of the boot, not just the foot area. Didn't even use my arctic shield boot covers with them last year.

I always wear two pair of socks, with toe warmers in between them to help a bit.

I went a different direction based on hunting a lifetime in Northern Wisconsin from open stands. The coldest I’ve ever hunted from a tree is -12f on an all day sit. It sucked.

About 15 years ago I bought a Heater Body Suit. Yes, it’s ugly, bulky, and not easy to put on in a tree, but it makes me bullet proof in the cold. You can wear normal light clothes for the walk in, including boots / gloves, put that HBS on and pop a couple chemical hand warmers inside. It’s all day warm.

It’s also surprisingly quiet and quick to get out of - for shooting.

When it’s not cold enough for the HBS I wear Sitka Fanatic gear and LaCrosse Ice Kings with a toe warmer. For less than all day sits, bow season, and hunting wet country on my feet, my go to has been Muck Arctic Extremes for 10+ years.

I did an all day sit yesterday with uninsulated hiking boots and medium weight wool socks so my feet wouldn’t sweat on the way in. Then put on my ice breaker boot blankets and only had one hand warmer. I was pretty comfortable in 31 degree weather.

I have a pair of the Baffin boots, and while they are warmer, they are a b*tch to walk in, so I’d have to wear hiking boots in to the stand and change at the base of the tree. And I’d still need the boot blankets eventually anyway. I will probably wear them this weekend as we’re looking at temps in the teens, but I’m not looking forward to the slow slog walking in.

I keep telling myself to drop the money on a heater body suit or IWOM. Both are just super pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am one to throw a couple hand warmers in my boots for sitting on the stand. My toes and fingers get cold easily. I learned a few years ago that keeping the kidneys warm is a great way to keep the rest of your body warm. I dress warm in the core. I’m a big merino wool fan and layers of insulation on the core. When it’s below freezing I use a stick on body warmer from the maker of hot hands. I just stick it to my first layer of clothes right in the small of my back. We had temps in the teen to twenties this weekend. While it was certainly cold I didn’t get the numb fingers and toes that can ruin a hunt.

I went a different direction based on hunting a lifetime in Northern Wisconsin from open stands. The coldest I’ve ever hunted from a tree is -12f on an all day sit. It sucked.

About 15 years ago I bought a Heater Body Suit. Yes, it’s ugly, bulky, and not easy to put on in a tree, but it makes me bullet proof in the cold. You can wear normal light clothes for the walk in, including boots / gloves, put that HBS on and pop a couple chemical hand warmers inside. It’s all day warm.

It’s also surprisingly quiet and quick to get out of - for shooting.

When it’s not cold enough for the HBS I wear Sitka Fanatic gear and LaCrosse Ice Kings with a toe warmer. For less than all day sits, bow season, and hunting wet country on my feet, my go to has been Muck Arctic Extremes for 10+ years.

Used the heater body suit last week. Amazing what a difference it made especially when the wind picked up. At 4 deg F with a 15-20 mph wind, sitting al day, was very comfortable. Was also able to keep my sandwiches' & apple from freezing 😁