Warm Boots for Treestand hunting

White Oak

5 year old buck +
What boots do You'all recommend for sitting hours in a open ladder stand in cold weather ?. I wore my Rocky leather/camo fabric 1200 thinsulate boots the other day and my feet got cold in 3 hours...It wasn't super cold, around 31 degrees but VERY windy So probably made it feel 10-15 degrees colder with the wind chill . I do have some 25-30 year old Lacross boots I use to wear for ice fishing but they are heavy as hell....looking for something a little lighter and still warm if it exists.

There's probably better options but I use these over my boots if it's really cold. A time or two have forgotten I'm wearing them and have walked back to the truck or trailed a deer with them still on.

2000 gram Inferno's from Cabela's. Make sure they are 1 - 1.5 larger than normal shoe size as tight boots are cold boots.

Gaiters help me a bunch.

I'm on the boot blanket train too. I've worn some warm boots (lacrosse Ice king, muck artic pro) and a couple hours in the teens have my feet frozen. I have the artic shield ones linked above and the big ass ice breaker ones. I got the artic shield ones because they are much more packable for western hunts where you dont want really warm boots for covering miles in the mountains but my feet freeze when I stop to glass for a while. The artic shield ones rely on reflecting heat without much insulation so you need to get them on when your feet are warm or there isn't heat to reflect. Those big ass ice breaker ones have a ton of insulation that always works and they seem to work better with hand/foot warmers as they are more breathable so the air lets the chemicals work better.

With moderately insulated pac boots, artic shield blankets, and foot warmers on Saturday my feet still got cold in the 20's after a few hours. Usually that would have been a recipe for warm feet. I had toasty feet with them last november in cooler temps with uninsulated mountain boots. I think the foot warmers underperformed and I've read that some brands work way better so I'm going to research that.

These are the ice breaker ones http://www.icebreakerinc.com/bootblanket.php The bulk sucks especially if you're carrying in a big ass late season parka and bibs too but they work.

If I were just looking for warm boots, I'd take a hard look at Baffin impact or eiger.

Last edited:
My dad bought me boot muffs when I was a kid. I've never seen them for sale since. Like and insulated pillow case that slips over your toes and has an elastic band that goes around the back. I wear rubber Muck boots and slip them over and have been fine down into the 10's and 20's. The trick is to slip them on when your feet are still warm. Can easily slip a hand warmer in them too. You guys that hunt in the -10's and -20's. not sure if it would work. My dad also recently bought some electric socks that he really likes. Not sure of the brand though.

Also, i've used cheap electric socks that just had one wire around the edge. I threw them away after one sit. My feet still froze but there was one hot spot where that wire was. I couldn't tell if my feet were hot numb or cold numb after a while. I know there are some very expensive ones out there now that people like but the cheap ones ($20 ish/pair in 2019 if i recall?) suck.

My dad's plan this year is to take his boots off and just wear his electric socks in his arctic shields. Another trick we learned is putting an old rug or welcome mat on the metal of the treestand. Keeps the wind from pulling the heat out of the bottoms of your boots and the heat from transferring to the cold metal.

My dad bought me boot muffs when I was a kid. I've never seen them for sale since. Like and insulated pillow case that slips over your toes and has an elastic band that goes around the back. I wear rubber Muck boots and slip them over and have been fine down into the 10's and 20's. The trick is to slip them on when your feet are still warm. Can easily slip a hand warmer in them too. You guys that hunt in the -10's and -20's. not sure if it would work. My dad also recently bought some electric socks that he really likes. Not sure of the brand though.
I'm not sure these are what you are describing, but these "Hot Toes" work pretty well. They have a velcro pocket that holds a mega hand warmer. Not sure where they came from, they are very old, and I've not been able to find them on any internet searches.

69003943992__E6DCC077-4B4A-4432-98D2-6267B1627A52.jpg

I love my military surplus "Micky Mouse" boots. Warmest I've ever tried, and the cheapest I've ever bought.

I also have a Heater Body Suit. If my body stays warm me feet stay warm.

I'm not sure these are what you are describing, but these "Hot Toes" work pretty well. They have a velcro pocket that holds a mega hand warmer. Not sure where they came from, they are very old, and I've not been able to find them on any internet searches.

View attachment 47253
Similar. Mine fit over the whole toe end of your boot. I'll dig them out a take a pic when I get the chance

What boots do You'all recommend for sitting hours in a open ladder stand in cold weather ?. I wore my Rocky leather/camo fabric 1200 thinsulate boots the other day and my feet got cold in 3 hours...It wasn't super cold, around 31 degrees but VERY windy So probably made it feel 10-15 degrees colder with the wind chill . I do have some 25-30 year old Lacross boots I use to wear for ice fishing but they are heavy as hell....looking for something a little lighter and still warm if it exists.

I won't speak to real cold weather, but I'm sensitive to cold even in moderate weather with my arthritis. One thing worth looking into is heated clothing. I have a battery driven kidney pads, socks, and vest. Whatever your choices is for outerwear, I find heated clothing to be a real benefit underneath.

In addition to using it in the winter, I find it an advantage in my moderate climate in early season. We can have quite warm mid-days when I'm heading in for an evening hunt. I can wear clothing that would be too light for after sunset which reduces sweating as I enter and climb. Then as the sun sets and temps drop, I just turn on the heat. This is more of a warm-weather use for cold-weather gear as well.

Thanks,

Jack

Nothing worse them frozen toes on an otherwise great day to hunt.

Two things you need to consider, good overall insulation, and a very thick sole on the boot. Cold will move up through the sole so insulation here very important.

Just spent 6 days hunting 11 hours a day in a ladder stand in 4-10 deg F weather and I used Baffin boots. i also put Hot Hands insole foot warmers in. The Baffin below was a combo between warmth & lightweight. They have warmer boots but are a bit bulkier, but would be good for long sits.

Baffin

Yep, the complaint is always hands and feet but heating the core is also essential. Your body draws heat from the extremities to keep your vital organs warm. Especially concentrate on the kidney and chest areas. That will keep your feet much warmer. Boots like Baffin have extra layers of wool to keep cold transfer away from your feet. They’re the best I’ve found for working and hunting in extreme cold. Also, anything you can do to insulate yourself from metal always helps. Mats or carpet on tree stands

Two things you need to consider, good overall insulation, and a very thick sole on the boot. Cold will move up through the sole so insulation here very important.

Just spent 6 days hunting 11 hours a day in a ladder stand in 4-10 deg F weather and I used Baffin boots. i also put Hot Hands insole foot warmers in. The Baffin below was a combo between warmth & lightweight. They have warmer boots but are a bit bulkier, but would be good for long sits.

Baffin
Cool....it looks like Sportsman's warehouse carries Baffin boots. They are opening a store near me , hopefully they have some in stock and I can try them on instead of just ordering online !

When I was young and lived in PA, I word Mickey Mouse boots in the deep winter snow in the mountains. Beyond the insulating value, they kind of acted as mini-snowshoes.

View attachment 47253
Boot Muffs. Not sure what the brand name is or if that's their official name.
Boot Muff.jpg

I love my military surplus "Micky Mouse" boots. Warmest I've ever tried, and the cheapest I've ever bought.

I also have a Heater Body Suit. If my body stays warm me feet stay warm.
I use these for ice fishing. They are awesome but white so I don’t wear them hunting.