Wanted to try Kale

scott44

5 year old buck +
I wanted to try some kale this year and see it has 150-200 day maturity and wondered if anyone has tried kale and how'd it do for you. My original plan was to add it to my brassica mix but saw the maturity and don't think I'll get much growth, just wanted to see if anyone has tried it spring planted. Thx

It really depends on what variety you plant. There are actually varying maturity dates for the different varieties of kale. Something like Kestrel kale, which has a very tall, upright, and bushy growth habit and is used to graze cattle and sheep on, takes the full 155-200 days to maturity. On the other hand, something that is geared more towards human consumption, like Dwarf Siberian kale, which has a shorter more rosette type of growth pattern, can mature in as little as 60-75 days. We planted both on our place over the years and both were planted at the same time of year, we didn't worry about getting the Kestrel to full maturity. We always planted in early August with the rest of our brassicas and the deer devoured them equally well on our place, just like every other brassica we ever planted. Our deer were not picky, or more like anything was better than jack pine needles and twigs.

I was looking at the Kestrel kale, I usually plant my brassicas mid July and thought that might be enough time but wasn't sure, thx.

I wouldn't worry about getting them to full maturity, if the deer are going to eat them, they will eat them whether mature or not. Baby kale is better anyway, at least in a salad;)!

I think I'll go with my original plan and add it to my brassica mix and maybe try a small plot and try to get some to maturity just for grins.

Great plan Scott!

I left one plant of kale in my garden and the deer started on it during the last two weeks.IMG_9249.JPG

Is there any price difference between kale and brassica? Could go well in a blend with some PTT.

Winfred is another one that we planted on our place. Like all the rest, it showed adequate growth and usage by our deer.

I just picked up some Kestrel Kale from Welters and it was $5.50/lb.

I put a 1/2 acre of BOB Winter Greens in mid July a few years back. It had a good amount of kale in it. To this day, it has been the best brassica plot I ever had. The Kale was huge and had a cool blue/green color. It was the first plant to get hit, but it was all devoured fairly quick. I think I found that same kale at Deer Creek Seed. I will be getting some this year to put in my mixes.