USDA zone map changes

AtomApple

5 year old buck +
This was just on the 5 O’clock news. I’m not sure I’m ready to push any boundaries, but maybe with a few cultivars. 😅
DF3AF472-D692-4584-8551-682A0D091DC7.jpeg

The old map from 2012, for reference. They only showed MN, so check your locals.
F10AA9B0-E48A-46E5-AA12-556C7A01CE2A.jpeg

I saw this earlier today also. I went from 8b to 9. They don't seem to have an a and b anymore. The interesting thing I see in the new map for Minnesota is the heat island around Minneapolis/St Paul. Interesting that whatever measurements they were taking to derive the zones could pick up the heating effect from urbanization. I haven't looked at a nationwide map to see if this takes place elsewhere around urban areas.

Took me to zone 7a on the new map wishful thinking on someone’s part because even the older 6b determination was a bit scetchy we pretty normally hit -10 most winters so we are more likely 6a I likely will not put to much faith in this new map

This version, and all things like this, are models of reality and not expected to mimic the real world precisely. It's likely the new version has greater granularity than the older versions.
The updated thirty-year temperature normals - or averages - ae used. Unfortunately there's no such thing as average weather. It's always too hot to too cold, to wet or too dry.
What happens at the edge is informative and may or may not influence your thinking. There will always be year-to-year variation.

A note from the documentation about heat sinks like urban areas:

Finer Scale

Because the 2023 and 2012 maps were created digitally with GIS technology, they have a higher level of resolution and can show smaller areas of zone delineations than earlier maps. For example, cities tend to hold more heat because they encompass large areas of concrete and blacktop, so a city or town might be assigned to a zone warmer than the surrounding countryside. Higher elevations tend to be colder than surrounding lower areas, so the top of a mountain might be an area of cooler zones. A location near a large body of unfrozen water, especially downwind from prevailing breeze from that water, might provide milder winter weather and be in a warmer zone.

Other notes for what went into determining the new zones you can find here:
https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/pages/map-creation

I resent this. I identify as non-queer 6b. I’m not changing my identity affiliation because some metrosexual 4a wakes up with a hormone problem.

Signature changed. Was on the 4a/3b border and now the 4b border is getting close. I'm not mad about it.

Have to keep up with the global warming narrative. Winter is still a frigid bitch so I'll stick w/ previous maps.

haha what?

From USGS
Temperature updates to plant hardiness zones are not necessarily reflective of global climate change because of the highly variable nature of the extreme minimum temperature of the year, as well as the use of increasingly sophisticated mapping methods and the inclusion of data from more weather stations. Consequently, map developers involved in the project cautioned against attributing temperature updates made to some zones as reliable and accurate indicators of global climate change (which is usually based on trends in overall average temperatures recorded over long time periods).

First part was TIC. The second part was not.
Makes sense. Definitely not going to be ordering less hardy trees now that this came out!

Camp up northern adirondacks went rrom 3b to 4a. At home, 1 mile from the hudson river i was a tiny dot of 6a around 5b. Now most of my county is 6a.

Doubt any decisions will be changed by me. Maybe my young granny smith has a chance for full ripeness. Pushing sundance and pristine sonewhat, not much though.

I went from 3b to 4a, but I know I’m the last 4 out of 5 years we have had -36 to -40. All except last winter, but we got a ton of snow last winter.

My thought is winter has been coming a couple weeks later, but staying a couple weeks later as well.

Heck, I don’t know. In 2004, I observed a presentation at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C., explaining the science behind why we are heading into another inevitable ice age.

Climate change is more of religion than science easy way to control the useful idiots.

Like Teeder, I moved from 5b to 6a. Next thing you know I’ll be drinking sweet tea.