Upgrading the rear SCV's on the JD 5065E

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
We all probably know how expensive some green paint can be, but the 2nd rear SCV is one that took me back 3 years ago and then they jacked the price up since going FT4 on the new ones (not sure if the parts are actually different or not). So $800 was no bueno in 2015 when I got the tractor, and now they're up to $1300 for the kits. Yikes! :emoji_astonished:

First implementation was just scabbing a 2-spool onto the fender and plumbing it into the factory 3rd SCV. In order to use this valve, I needed to first activate the hydraulics of the OEM SCV (from the drivers seat) and then manipulate the levers for the additional valve. Certainly far from ideal, but it got me the extra work ports I needed to run my stump grinder and it was relatively cheap being the valve was $200ish and the fittings and hoses were another $100 or so. I'd always intended to integrate this valve into the tractor's hydraulics, but I didn't want to do it in Brainerd where running to fetch a different fitting is a 35 mile round trip. So I used it, and it was OK, but needed improvement. The spacing on the valve body also meant I needed a kluge of adapters and wound up 45ing one of the QD's off into left field just to make the collars slide past one another. This needed to go!

20180512_230325[1].jpg

In the above pic, you see the black mount I made to add the second 2-spool to the fender. This pic just happens to be the best one I have handy of the original QD rats nest.

The other problem with my first generation of using one valve to power two, was that I'd added a hydraulic top link before I ever built the stump grinder (which is my original impetus for needing this extra set of valves), and in 2016 I built a hydraulic tilt cylinder as well. In order to use the top-n-tilt, I had to unhook the grinder. If I was grinding extra tall stumps, I'd need to un-hook and re-hook to finish them as the grinder only has a given range of vertical adjustment in the sweeps... Yeah, this sucks! :emoji_relaxed: We can do better.

So over the winter I landed a deal on another 2-spool valve, got the fittings I thought I'd need, and started making plans to relocate the tractor to the house where Fleet Farm, Graingers, or a number of other shops are within 10 miles. I also scored a tilt-deck trailer capable of hauling my tractor, and didn't need to dedicate a day and 500 miles driving to moving it from the cabin to the suburbs. This and my 7' tiller were the only tangible evidence I got paid from my logging, but it's a good set of tools to move forward with. The tractor finally was coming home to get upgraded!

As seen in the previous post, I added an angle iron bracket that allowed me to mount the valve slightly outboard of the top of the fender. This was necessary to retain my basket's mounting holes, and I still need to tweak those a little before reinstalling it as the float detent end-cap interferes with the original location of the basket. No biggie.

20180513_200250[1].jpg

Something that never dawned on me in my original planning for adding the second 2-spool valve, was that there needed to be a connection for the power beyond flow between the two valve bodies and that connection could be made with a QD pair between them and now we've got a Power Beyond Port for running a log splitter or wood chipper, etc. Rather than spending the $1K for the factory "kit" to add this feature, it cost me $18 for a mated pair of Ag couplers added to the existing necessary hydraulic line. Bonus!

So we've got the valves mounted and now it's time to work on plumbing.

The local shops all want obscene "assembly" fees for crimping ends on hydraulic hose, so I decided to use "field repair" ends instead. These cost between 7 and 10 bucks for -6 and -8 respectively, and that's a 50% or better savings over a fitting and it's installation without having to mail-order special hoses (which might not fit right as we'll see later).

20180523_163027[1].jpg

I ended up going down through the fender for the tank-return drain, which has left me with an exposed to tire dangers hose, but I'll make a cover for that and it'll be fine.

From there, I made a bracket for the top link QD's (the tilt is not removable without breaking fittings) and buttoned up the hoses.

20180527_190842[1].jpg

I want to add one of those in the worst way. Without it I can’t change the height of my spray boom. It’s fine for beans but breaks corn over if the corn get to high.

I had to go hang with the MIL for her birthday dinner and got cut off here.

So, now we've got 5 SCV's out back, the Top and tilt have their own dedicated valve, the stump grinder has it's own valves, and I added a tank drain port to the manifold to connect the 5 valves and the PB circuit to the tank return line.

20180607_145430[1].jpg

I used my nifty Horrible Freight knock-out hole punch tool to make the passage for the TnT drain connection in my fender, and it did a great job as usual. The little bur looking spot at 10 o'clock is actually a small weld that attaches the rib on the back side. It cut through that nicely too.

20180607_175354[1].jpg

I also need to shorten up the drain hose on the stump grinder's valve since I goofed and didn't account for the length of the field-attachable hose end's outside piece and wound up with a bit of a bend where it should be a straighter shot into the drain manifold's fitting.

Tomorrow, I have the QD's coming for the grinder valve and will be making right angle adapters for it so the hoses point aft instead of inward like they had been. Hopefully I'll have that all buttoned up by the weekend.

Jim; it seems that you have a skill set that could make you some good money, and judging from the pics you do good clean work. I also remember from the old site that you were a great fabricator with access to the tools and a shop to get a lot of stuff done. Just curious... with the skills and drive to do this quality of work why not just do a few odd jobs and pay for your dog's eye surgery and get it done now instead of waiting for donationsto seep in?

Because it takes me days to get anything achieved with my functional and pain issues. I made it 2 days as a production welder and my forearms burned for months after that "stunt" as my doc called it. I could barely drive home after my first shift, really shouldnt've completed my second but pushed through it while struggling to open my hands to grab parts. Kinda came in handy not being able to release my fingers while holding the MIG gun.

That's why I mentioned "odd jobs", not slaving for the boss 12hrs per day. I picked them up all the time when I was a machinist. Off the clock type of thing. Take an 8hr job and bid it for 3 weeks. Tinker with it as your body allows (kind of like you did with your tractor) and get it done over an extended period of time. You have the tools and the skills that people will pay good money for even if it takes some time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Because it takes me days to get anything achieved with my functional and pain issues. I made it 2 days as a production welder and my forearms burned for months after that "stunt" as my doc called it. I could barely drive home after my first shift, really shouldnt've completed my second but pushed through it while struggling to open my hands to grab parts. Kinda came in handy not being able to release my fingers while holding the MIG gun.

Jim ... Have you considered teaching?

Your skills in a shop class or technical college could be very valuable.

I think Cat is right on. You have skills so use them. Self employment can be a great thing for people who don’t want a boss.

Just make sure you actually complete any job you bid before you demand payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Cat is right on. You have skills so use them. Self employment can be a great thing for people who don’t want a boss.

Just make sure you actually complete any job you bid before you demand payment.

You still think I didn't finish Brook's shit, and that's your right; but you are wrong. I did finish work, then I wasn't able to complete other tasks. He agreed that he owed me, then took 10 months to pay. Let it go.

Jim ... Have you considered teaching?

Your skills in a shop class or technical college could be very valuable.

My feet and knees are all jacked up, and my carpal tunnel syndrome was halted but not corrected by the wrist or elbow nerve release and relocation surgeries. My neck and thorasic spine are also wrecked, and I've got more diagnostic work scheduled for that next week. I'm not allowed to use a computer for work due to the neck strain of focusing on a monitor.

I need a body transplant. Lol

The irony is that I'm probably the only 43yr old male alive who doesn't have lumbar pain.

Let it go you say.

You are the one bringing it up here in a lame attempt for free money.

If you are depressed, I hope you get through it. If you are a veteran, thank you for your service. I do hope your dog gets fixed.

But you don’t pass the smell test. You claim poor me, please give me money to solve my problem. I’m too depressed to work. I am too disabled to work. I’m too broke to fix my dog.

You seem to have money to buy tractors, tillers and other toys. You seem to be capable of working on a tractor and to type long explanations on how others can fix their tractors.

Damn near everyone gets depressed at different points in their life. I’ve been there. Many have already spoken about how they have been there. You either fight through it, get treatment or give up and wallow in it. What you shouldn’t do is play the poor pitiful me so you can play on people’s emotions to get free money.

The tractor and tiller are tools used to earn the money I live on. Tractor time is also very theraputic for me. Do you think I should sell my anti-depressants too?

Started working on the right-angle bracket for the stump grinder's QD's tonight. Just made some nipples out of all-thread to sex-change the female ORB QD's to male. These will thread flush to the manifold blocks, so there's no need to use a washer over the o-ring. I'll use pipe dope just to be safe to make sure they don't leak when I do final assembly.

QD nipple conversion.jpg

Made a little progress on the 90° manifolds.

20180619_170641-1.jpg
Found out my flange nuts are too big and either need to turn them down or just go with 5/8 nuts and tap them 3/4-16.

20180619_194749.jpg
I'm using all-thread instead of banjo bolts, and the joints are essentially ORB with lands cut in the threads and chamfers as needed.
20180619_194820.jpg
I'm probably going to shorten the stand-offs a touch, and might narrow the block a little when I clean it up.

Finally got it all sorted aside from needing to cut down one of my tilt cylinder hoses, and have been using the new 2-spool t-n-t valve for a couple days. The stump grinder goes on today when I wake up, but I've already pressure checked the manifolds and there's no leaks. :)

20180718_233231-1.jpg
It'll be nice not having to switch hoses ever again, but I'm already loving being able to adjust the top link from the rear to hook up implements. Saturday I was bush hogging my aspen regen trying to relocate my road. lol

It's in there somewhere...

20180720_205650.jpg

Oh, there it is!

20180721_165128.jpg

This view shows 4'+ regen, but further North it's over my loader arms, so it's 5' or better. My North 40 trails are obliterated with new growth. Even areas adjacent to the cutting are thickening up from the additional sunlight on the floor. It's pretty wild!

The difference between my harvest and the butchery that was done on my neighbor's tract in '13 or '14 (I forget which year exactly) is astounding. I have better growth than they had at 3yrs, and it's been 4 months. Forester and cutting crew really do make or break a sale and the results.