Unique dishes with game

corned venison is great and easy to make. I love Rueben sandwiches and corned venison hash..

My family has tired of venison pot roast in the slow cooker. I think this year I want to try to brine and smoke a roast and then slice into sandwich meat (like roast beef from the deli). Anybody done this?
That is very similar to the pastrami I make.

MY wife smothers bluefish with mayo ontop. She add dill, dill pickles chopping finely, lemon juice, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. More or less tartar sauce. Mayo oil helps with drier fish.

Also, I usually take a razor and nip a gill a bit and let the fish bleed out in water, or in ice when feasible.

Mostly get mullet/whitefish in NC, some flounder, and red drum. Last april we brought home around 40lbs of it. Go to RI columbus day weekend and get blackfish / tog. Some years we tag out daily on tog and tag out on stripers too. False Albacore hit the striper squid bait too.

I take the striper cook it in lemon, then shred it and mix it with corn and peppers, sometimes get some crab meat, or fry up some chopped oysters to mix it in. MAkes great seafood stuffing. Rolled up into fillets, stuff pepper or mushrooms, or butterfly large shrimp.

Elk shanks made into osso buco in the Dutch oven or slow cooker all day is my favorite. God damn it’s good. Haven’t done it with a deer shank yet as I figured they’d be on the small side but I’ll give it a whirl some day.

Heart fried in butter on the cast iron is usually a favorite too.

Elk shanks made into osso buco in the Dutch oven or slow cooker all day is my favorite. God damn it’s good. Haven’t done it with a deer shank yet as I figured they’d be on the small side but I’ll give it a whirl some day.

Heart fried in butter on the cast iron is usually a favorite too.

I cook my deer shanks whole with just the ends looped off so the marrow can render out. Not the same presentation as a crosscut elk shank, but equally as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cook my deer shanks whole with just the ends looped off so the marrow can render out. Not the same presentation as a crosscut elk shank, but equally as good.

That's usually what I do. I just use a Sawzall to cut the ends off. I would like to get a band saw and do more bone-in cuts.

That's usually what I do. I just use a Sawzall to cut the ends off. I would like to get a band saw and do more bone-in cuts.
Same. I have a butcher's saw and it does pretty good for most of the things I want. It sounds counterintuitive, but some of the bones on a whitetail are a little too small for the saw to be effective.

I got my hands on some wild elk roast from a lady at the office. She told me her family didn’t like them because they are too dry. I made a trade with her on some of my super bread for an elk roast.

I told her I’d can it, prep it for a meal (like ready to eat) and give most of it back to her. I’m making two jars tonight and will deliver it tomorrow. I expect this to be my best work ever.

2af59b6a7c9e0a4c60428c0ebf4985ee.jpg

I was on the phone with Gabe Brown's daughter in law this morning discussing the origin and upbringing of their chicken, and threw in some bonus questions. Turns out they're a little stacked up on beef tongue right now, so I asked her for a bulk price on beef tongue. She punched in a new item code for it, and I swiftly put in my order. I've got 19 lbs of beef tongue getting shipped in next week, along with 5 pounds of pork fat for making lard.

Now I just need to get that pork fat rendered down and catch some fish in which to fry it.

My mom's side of the family is Pennsylvania Dutch so I grew up with some oddities on the table at Sunday dinner. My grandmother never used recipes so a lot of it is just lost unfortunately but things I remember eating were snapping turtle soup and just fried. Both excellent. Groundhog, which I don't remember eating specifically but I was told I did. Dandelion soup which I don't believe I ever tried as a kid. Now I wish I would have. My grandfather would take us to the local lake and catch a 5 gallon bucket full of panfish we'd fry up. Us grandkids used to make a fire by the creek and take crayfish out and throw them straight into a pot to eat.

Groundhog, which I don't remember eating specifically but I was told I did. Dandelion soup which I don't believe I ever tried as a kid. Now I wish I would have

Groundhog is very good table fare.

Dandelions can be hit or miss. Some of them are a quite bitter, but some of them are very good. Try several, and propagate the good ones in a garden.

Whole slow cooker deer shank. Unbelievably good. Use the meat eater recipe.
Skewers of heart roast over an open fire, a little salt and pepper...yum
Goose jerky, fresh of the smoker
Venison liver
One of these days I want to work up enough guts to roast a head, supposed to be the best meat in a deer.

Corned venison is great, country fried steak is a big hit. We make lots of sausage. Pulled venison bbq. The ribs we do in instapot then on the grill. then of course ground venison.

We’ve enjoyed corned venison the past few years. Wish I would have tried it sooner!