Unique dishes with game

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
I eat alot more venison sincevi got a grinder. Wife cooks it, but doesnt eat it.

Treat it like groynd beef. Tacos. Meatloaf, pasta ssuces mostly. Meatloaf can bevery good. Also, grind it with sone bacon onions and worstershire.

I cut up my deer fresh, quarters in the fridge a nightbor two. Thrn grind, vacum seal 1 and 2lb portions, then freeze.

Boil it in water, dump out water, refill with fresh water, thrm dukp again. Gamy taste gone.

Anything better you guys do with meals.

I like to make pastrami out of deer and goose. It's a little bit of work, but not a big deal. Everyone in the family loves to eat it!

I like to make pastrami out of deer and goose. It's a little bit of work, but not a big deal. Everyone in the family loves to eat it!
Are you willing to share your recipe?

Are you willing to share your recipe?
I'd be glad to, but I have to google it every time I make it. It involves pink cure, peppercorns, coriander, mustard seeds, paprika, etc. AND WHOLE LOT OF SMOKE!

Google "smoked pastrami recipe" and you'll come up with something you like.

Been a long time, but did sauerbratten. Not too different i cann imagine.

Came out great. Used common reciepe, just substituted beef. Juniper berries camr from where i pheasant hunted.

Corned venison is great, country fried steak is a big hit. We make lots of sausage. Pulled venison bbq. The ribs we do in instapot then on the grill. then of course ground venison.

Came out great. Used common reciepe, just substituted beef. Juniper berries camr from where i pheasant hunted.

I just looked up sauerbratten. That is certainly something I might try!

I don't get the way everyone tries to disguise venison with sauses, heavy seasoning, and marinades. Granted we're in the corn belt, but we add nothing to our venison grind and do everything with it, including hamburgers. Of course it's good in tacos, spaghetti, etc, but it's damn good just made into a burger. I process my own meat, when I started I noticed a huge change in the quality of the meat. I also have a walk-in cooler the deer goes in immediately after the kill. Wife and I don't buy any meat other than chicken. We put up about 6 doe every year, wild turkey, and fish too...

I don't get the way everyone tries to disguise venison with sauses, heavy seasoning, and marinades. Granted we're in the corn belt, but we add nothing to our venison grind and do everything with it, including hamburgers. Of course it's good in tacos, spaghetti, etc, but it's damn good just made into a burger. I process my own meat, when I started I noticed a huge change in the quality of the meat. I also have a walk-in cooler the deer goes in immediately after the kill. Wife and I don't buy any meat other than chicken. We put up about 6 doe every year, wild turkey, and fish too...
I don’t mind ground venison in tacos etc but give me an 80/20 beef burger over venison everyday of the week. Just too dry for my liking.

I use a lot of ground venison for jerky. I’ve started using roasts for pulled venison sandwiches. Mississippi roast. Really liking that these days.

I used to have a local meat processor turn an entire deer into Polish dogs every year. I would eat a couple for lunch 2 or 3 days a week. They were excellent ...... then they stopped processing deer altogether. That my friends was a very sad day in my life.

I don’t mind ground venison in tacos etc but give me an 80/20 beef burger over venison everyday of the week. Just too dry for my liking.

Usually I agree. For a proper burger with a thick patty, nothing beats beef.

Venison for a burger requires somewhat different treatment. I have two ways of doing this.

One is to combine the ground venison with ground pork and pork fat, season with salt, grated onion, and paprika, and knead the meat into a smoother texture. This is a Balkan style of patty called pljeskavica, so it goes well with Balkan style toppings as well as American style toppings.

I also like to do a double patty pure venison burger. This must be done in a pan, as the patties can fall apart on a grill. Sear each side of each patty, and put a slice of cheese on each as soon as you flip it. I always do sautéed mushrooms and caramelized onions on this burger. Top bun gets a thin coat of mayo. Bottom bun gets a little brown mustard, BBQ sauce, or whisky sauce. I don't put any otherr toppings on this type of burger.

We cut out whole muscles wherever possible. Anything too small to be a roast or steak gets chunked for stews. And then anything too small, sinewy, tough, etc for stew then gets ground. We have very little ground venison.

I like deer steaks. I usually grill a steak and serve it with a vegetable or two. Lately I like green beans and roasted Hokkaido pumpkin for this. I do like a variety of sauces for my steaks and roasts, especially wild mushroom or red wine sauce.

Roasts are great but require a thermometer. Slow roasting at a temp only slightly higher than the desired internal temp is ideal. Again, veggies and a nice sauce.

Stews are uinlimited in style and ingredients. Lately I favor an Irish style stew made with Guiness stout.

One of the best recipes we do is schnitzel. Unfortunately it is a rather messy and complicated meal, so we don't eat it often, but it is a family favorite.

Another favorite of mine is osso bucco, or a whole braised shank. It needs 6 to 8 hours in the slow cooker, but shank meat it excellent when you get it tender.

I made chili for my guys today using deer hearts. In the years that we shoot enough bucks we start with deer nuts as an appetizer.

we just did ruladen.

we corn (as in the spice cure) the trapezoidal hind roast and make corned venny hash

tied neck roasts are the biggest missed opportunity on a deer. Dutch Oven or crock pot, falls apart and so tender. Based on seasoning can do anything from barabcoa to a Guinness stew

Ossa Bucco was a hit

Heart is great but tastes like any other muscle. The rest of the organs I have tried were for me

Last one- and its a grand slam- take a foil tray and cold smoke your ground venison for chili. Game Changer

My buddies and I occasionally eat raw venison sliced thin with just a little salt while we process one. Usually involves a few beers. Call me a caveman... 😎 Meateater had a recipe for deer heart ceviche. Tried it. Loved it. Whole muscle roasts with salt and pepper medium rare. I rather enjoy the flavor of venison.

My buddies and I occasionally eat raw venison sliced thin with just a little salt while we process one. Usually involves a few beers. Call me a caveman... 😎 Meateater had a recipe for deer heart ceviche. Tried it. Loved it. Whole muscle roasts with salt and pepper medium rare. I rather enjoy the flavor of venison.

That's basically carpaccio. Venison ceviche is a good one too. And venison tartar is good if you want a more classic flavor profile. I go a bit easier on the capers and shallot than most recipes call for, as I find them overpowering. Venison carpaccio with salt, pepper, a squirt of lemon, and a nasturtium leaf is a gourmet snack in my book.

We shoot a lot of geese.
I grind a bunch into burger and mix in some bacon on about a 4 to 1 ratio. We eat a lot of goose cheese burgers cooked on the grill.

Also slow cook a couple goose breasts at a time in the crock. When it is good and soft I drain it off shred it and ad Sweet Baby Rays. Better than pulled pork.

I have the palette of a 6 year old so unique and food doesn’t mix with me. Sucks but after 43 years I’ve come to accept it. If I even think an onion is in my food I will just not eat! Jealous of you guys making good dishes.

Also slow cook a couple goose breasts at a time in the crock. When it is good and soft I drain it off shred it and ad Sweet Baby Rays. Better than pulled pork.

I do the same thing, but I use KC Masterpiece.

Reactions: 356