All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Soil PH Map

Does this pic have a color key that is not showing for some reason? I might have to try the parent site and burrow down...

Edit: Ok zooming way in helps pull up some numbers...

Interesting. My local wildlife biologist said I did not need a soil test to plant clover and wheat, because both are tolerant of different ph's, but also because our area does not deviate too much from 7.0. Mine, according to this map is 6.8 (northern Kentucky). I think I'll get the soil test anyway, just in case.

Interesting, it could help explain why just spraying gly around my place leads to natural clover that thrives. I always figured the seed bank was full because of past farmers over seeding clover mixes for pasture. The map would explain why it does well. Still I would think historical use of the ground would eventually change things and a soil sample is still a good idea.

Interesting. My local wildlife biologist said I did not need a soil test to plant clover and wheat, because both are tolerant of different ph's, but also because our area does not deviate too much from 7.0. Mine, according to this map is 6.8 (northern Kentucky). I think I'll get the soil test anyway, just in case.

I'm far from an expert but there is more to a true soil test than just the PH. You should be able to see the trace minerals present along with the CEC. With that said clover, wheat, rye, and oats will grow on a brick with a little moisture in my experience.

It's an interesting map. Good find. I'm going to keep a copy. The average, basic, untreated pH of a soil depends on the parent rock from which it comes. That's a little simple, but adequate. Here on the east coast it's a given the tendency is for soils to be acidic except for areas where natural limestone is present. The soil pH is relatively unimportant - unless you might be interested in yield! And, I confess, I'm still not sure how much importance to place on yield in food plotting. Wheat. If you're growing it as a forage, how important is pH when grain yields aren't a consideration?

The map shows the soil at camp to be between 4.6 and 5.4 - That confirms what we see in soil samples not altered by lime applications. Fields we've limed are upwards of 6.3, and have produced plots much better ......... I guess we'll keep liming !!

Thanks for the link.