Two wheel drive tractors

I’ve had both, and since this is your first tractor, 40hp is a great starting point and 2WD with ag tires will give you good traction. The loaders on older tractors are not nearly as “robust” as newer models. Lots of good options in the 5-10K range.
2WD pros: Upfront cost, works well for field work in good weather, less parts to go wrong
2WD cons: Not enough traction for some loader work (gravel, dirt), front end is light with some implements, easier to get stuck
4WD pros: better weight distribution, more traction, easier to sale or trade, better for loader work, when you need it—you got it
4WD cons: Cost, more to go wrong, not needed for most food plot, tillage or moving/cutting work.
With 40hp should have the HP and hydraulics needed for a small no-till drill should you want to buy one. If you plan to rent one, you will need to up the HP to around 70.

So for 2wd guys....anyone feel tire chains are worth having? Noticed a number of folks running them year round....figured theyd be crimping plant though.

So for 2wd guys....anyone feel tire chains are worth having? Noticed a number of folks running them year round....figured theyd be crimping plant though.

Anytime I have gotten in a sticky/slippery situation, the back tires space between the treads fill eliminating the effectiveness of the treat. I assume the same would happen with chains. Once I engage the 4WD, the pulling action from the front wheels, along with the weight of the engine on them, adds significant traction.

Anytime I have gotten in a sticky/slippery situation, the back tires space between the treads fill eliminating the effectiveness of the treat. I assume the same would happen with chains. Once I engage the 4WD, the pulling action from the front wheels, along with the weight of the engine on them, adds significant traction.
Not my experience with chains. They have a way of cleaning themselves better than the lugs on the tires. I suppose they flex and are not as uniform or closely spaced......so they tend to self clean. Chains can get your thru some pretty mucky and snowy situations....IME.

Chains would help they a different animal entirely from tire tread if your not running a loader so the weight remains on the drive wheels they would help a lot. On my cable skidder I have bear paw style chains I’d run in the winter making that thing crawl thru about anything you can imagine but that’s a bit different critter from a farm tractor. On farm tractors if you don’t have a loader you can probably get by without 4wd if you have a loader I wouldn’t want a 2wd machine it leads to frustration.

No loader, 2wd (1966 IH 606). Id happily buy them, jus wondering if theyll trash plots as this will be used to mow a bunch of clover.

Chains make a huge difference in the winter on snow and ice, night and day basically. I sure wouldn't want them on in the summer though unless you are putting around real slow and never get on the road.

My experience is limited to smaller compact tractors but my 38 HP 4wd tractor with loader is pushing 6000# and I needed that 4wd just pulling a 5' tandem 3pt disc around. I wouldn't want my little tractor in 2wd.

I guess I don't have a lot to add except to say the same things in a different way. As a kid I didn't know there were 4wd tractors. One reason is a couple tractors only had three wheels! But that's besides the point. In production ag decades ago we had fewer acres of cropland and could wait for a good couple of days to do what need doing. Now, acreages are vast, planting starts early and the soil conditions almost demand 4wd. Big acres mean bigger implements to pull. Well, you get it. I guess if you price a small 4wd tractor today what it will do when you want to do it is a bargain. But, I think there are a lot of things you can do in the food plot business that can be done with 2wd...if you are patient and selective about what you pull, when you pull it, and what you do. If you go the 4wd route you will think of things to do because you have no excuse to not do it! What are chains?

My only input would be that 4WD has assisted me in getting stuck “better” than 2WD because of the confidence it gave me to go places I wouldn’t have gone without it.

2WD stuck is one thing. 4WD stuck is another in my experience. But I’ll take 4WD every time.

Had my little 4wd stuck in a creek I tried to cross couldn’t get my truck to where it was had to use a chain coffin hoist chained to tree to pull it out very very slow process.😞

There are times especially in the spring where ground not completely frozen and top soil is like grease on top of frozen ground. Even food plot fields when dragging discs, seeders, etc. can cause traction issues. 4WD has been a real plus.

Had my little 4wd stuck in a creek I tried to cross couldn’t get my truck to where it was had to use a chain coffin hoist chained to tree to pull it out very very slow process.😞
Yep

...........and lose 1/2 day of habitat work in the process

Ask me how I know

bill

I owned a 2WD tractor that I bought with a property. It was a JD 5045e. I couldn't stand it, got rid of it ASAP. It didn't have a loader, so it was useless to me. This tractor in particular sat very high and was unstable (IMO) for the terrain. It was more of a wagon puller type than a utility tractor. Having 2WD for what I need from a tractor just doesn't work.

I would buy a lesser tractor or brand with 4WD any day before ever trying to use a 2WD again.

I just want to state the obvious to me here...have a 4wd at home and a 2wd on my OOS place....i dont believe anyone is like "id rather have 2wd"....more of a "Id love a 80hp cabbed 4wd with a quick attach front bucket and 55 implements to join my barn arsenal of equipment and tools....... but my checkbook says i need to look at the jerry rigged 14hp Cub Cadet riding mower with vbar tires on FB marketplace again"

I just want to state the obvious to me here...have a 4wd at home and a 2wd on my OOS place....i dont believe anyone is like "id rather have 2wd"....more of a "Id love a 80hp cabbed 4wd with a quick attach front bucket and 55 implements to join my barn arsenal of equipment and tools....... but my checkbook says i need to look at the jerry rigged 14hp Cub Cadet riding mower with vbar tires on FB marketplace again"

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk