Turkey Hunting in the rain

kabic

5 year old buck +
Its my week to hunt Turkey in Wisconsin. I just took a peak at the radar...rain all day tommorow.

Should I put the blind up in a field or stay home? How much do they move around when it raining? I would imagine they would come off the roost late.

I enjoy spring turkey hunting, I'm just not very good at it.

Its my week to hunt Turkey in Wisconsin. I just took a peak at the radar...rain all day tommorow.

Should I put the blind up in a field or stay home? How much do they move around when it raining? I would imagine they would come off the roost late.

I enjoy spring turkey hunting, I'm just not very good at it.

I have found that turkeys will be out in fields and food plots when it is raining. They may seek shelter when it is raining really hard but will be out and moving when it lets up.

Last edited:
I've had good luck hunting just about everything in the rain, from turkeys to elk. Seems like there's more turkeys out and about my place when it rains. They don't gobble much, however if you have a field they like to spend time in, get in your blind and put your time in. And yes, they usually stay on the roost longer on a cloudy rainy day.

Last edited:
I love turkey hunting in the rain, but any pictures you take of your bird will look like a wet turkey.:)

I had a tom check out my decoys in a light rain, but too far for a shot. I set up too far from the field edge...he didn't want to come that far out.

After he left I repositioned to shooting distance to the field edge. I got done right before it really started coming down. When it lets up I should be in good shape hopefully.

Last Christmas my wife bought me Frog Togg rain gear and I'm glad she did. Without them I would have gotten soaked setting up the blind.

I had a tom check out my decoys in a light rain, but too far for a shot. I set up too far from the field edge...he didn't want to come that far out.

After he left I repositioned to shooting distance to the field edge. I got done right before it really started coming down. When it lets up I should be in good shape hopefully.

Last Christmas my wife bought me Frog Togg rain gear and I'm glad she did. Without them I would have gotten soaked setting up the blind.

Stay at it. He will be back.

If you stay too dry you may fall a sleep on a rainy days like this! Good Luck, like Tom said he'll be back.