blueKYstream

5 year old buck +
I was looking to build a turkey fan mount that I could use for multiple birds I've killed (several beards not yet displayed). I decided to distress some rough-sawn pine boards from the big box store. I originally intended to white wash the whole thing, but I really liked the stain I was using as an undertone, so I went half and half: white washed frame with stained backboards. I think it came out just like I had hoped! I have a few mementos and beards to add, but it's complete for all intents and purposes. I posted a video with a list of all the tools & materials I used on my channel if anyone wants to make their own: Video.

1.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 18
That came out great. I have been thinking about something similar. Thanks for posting.

Very nice!
I think turkeys have the coolest feathers, I save the all tails and a few the wings even did a full cape with one. They were re-introduced here in my area about fifteen years ago and have spread out in bigger woods and along rivers. I've been luckey enough to shoot a few in my county even on our own place. I enjoy seeing and hearing them and have tried to plant some shrubs and things that are a benefit to turkeys.

Looks great! How’s the turkey population in your area? Seems to be declining in the areas I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking to build a turkey fan mount that I could use for multiple birds I've killed (several beards not yet displayed). I decided to distress some rough-sawn pine boards from the big box store. I originally intended to white wash the whole thing, but I really liked the stain I was using as an undertone, so I went half and half: white washed frame with stained backboards. I think it came out just like I had hoped! I have a few mementos and beards to add, but it's complete for all intents and purposes. I posted a video with a list of all the tools & materials I used on my channel if anyone wants to make their own: Video.

View attachment 26290
View attachment 26293
That looks great!

Very cool!

Thanks for the kind words! Turkey population in my area is steady. When I was a little guy, we used to see flocks of 40-50 turkeys. I don't see the large groups anymore, but it's always been stable. I'll never forget a hunt where easily 50 birds, including a few white ones, flew in over the trees and landed right next to 3 of us hunting one Fall afternoon.

I like it a lot. Can you give more details on the stain and whitewashing products and process you used? I don’t like many of the whitewashes is see, but that looks good.

I like it a lot. Can you give more details on the stain and whitewashing products and process you used? I don’t like many of the whitewashes is see, but that looks good.

Sure, if you follow the link to the video, you will see all of the materials and tools I used to craft it, including the stains, in the description box below the video.

Man that looks awesome, If I can ever drop a big one this will be on my list of things to build. Great job

Man that looks awesome, If I can ever drop a big one this will be on my list of things to build. Great job

Thanks! I’m not the most gifted craftsman or creative person but it turned out exactly like I had hoped...in some ways even better. I like the barn wood look without the price. I I like that multiple beards can be added over the years too.