Tubes height for buck rubs?

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
I'm cutting down my old tubes to use as tree protection from rubs but not sure what height to cut them to. I was hoping to cut the 5ft tubes in half. Anyone ever do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm cutting down my old tubes to use as tree protection from rubs but not sure what height to cut them to. I was hoping to cut the 5ft tubes in half. Anyone ever do this?

I have for direct seeding nuts. I also cut 5ft tubes in half

As part of a CRP planting I had about 300 crabapple and 300 plums planted and tubed with 5' tubes. This was back in 2011. I am now in the process of cutting the tubes back to 30" to protect the trees from deer rubs. So far it has worked well. I cut the tube back and prune off any unwanted limbs to provide the tree good form.

A 2.5' tube will be a waste of time, unless you have bucks that are 4' tall. Majority of rubs I see start at 18" - 24" ...

I take 4ft cage wire and cut to around 12 inch dia.then put on tree when I remove the tube

A 2.5' tube will be a waste of time, unless you have bucks that are 4' tall. Majority of rubs I see start at 18" - 24" ...

I thought the same thing at first but it seems at least in my area they don't like to go after trees with a tube on them. I had several trees I completely took the tubes off and the bucks ripped them up but the trees I left 30" tubes on they have left alone. Seems to work at least here.

I thought the same thing at first but it seems at least in my area they don't like to go after trees with a tube on them. I had several trees I completely took the tubes off and the bucks ripped them up but the trees I left 30" tubes on they have left alone. Seems to work at least here.

Bucks on my property seem to like to rubs the wooden stakes for the 4'-5'5 tubes and either push the tube over or break the stake.

Leaving tubes on the lower 2.5' of the tree might also not allow that section to harden off weakening the tree.