trees

wildfire

5 year old buck +
Would anyone purchase a 1.5" dia. 12' tall swamp white oak for $70? Also a regal prince oak, that had acorns this year for $70?

Iv looked at a couple like you talking about but couldn't make myself bight the bullet on them. Big question on root bound situation.
I always said if I knew for sure it would survive without problems establishing the root system without the summer drout and heat then it would be nice to get a couple to get a big head start.

I always opted to get a few good looking smaller trees but still good size rather than just one or two big ones.

Iv planted a few 8 ft oaks in 7 gallon pots that did good. That was about as big as I ever decided to tackle

I would,I've been looking for a regal prince for a while.All I have is red oaks at my land.

I'd rather have a hundred little trees. In all fairness, I have the time horizon to wait on it. The other thing to consider is whether or not you can keep it alive.

Would anyone purchase a 1.5" dia. 12' tall swamp white oak for $70? Also a regal prince oak, that had acorns this year for $70?
That is a tough one and only you can really decide if it is a good use of funds. I will say this, the county park near our home has planted a bunch of these larger trees in the past few years(easy to do when you are playing with someone else's money/taxpayers dollars). One tree in particular, which I think is either a straight up SWO or possibly a Schuette's oak and have mentioned before, has been in the ground 3 years and is profuse with acorns this year and it even had a bunch last year. This tree was about a 4" caliper, 15'-18' tall when planted and is a touch over 20' or so now. I plan to collect some acorns from it if I get out there in time before the squirrels and deer eat them all.

I wouldn't plant a forest in that manner, but if you wanted to "splurge" on a few.......why not. Now I would also pick the most prime location I could find for them as well. Now that being said - I would continue to plant other species in more volume as well.

You also have to keep in mind just because the trees has acorns on it doesn't mean it will produce once you have it planted right away. I would think it would focus much more energy into getting a firm footing than producing acorns. It has been babied thus far and once planted it may not receive the same level of attention. It could be several years before that same tree produced acorns again - so don't let that sway your decision. It will more than likely produce acorns again before some saplings you plant will, but it could take some time for it to flourish again.

I've considered doing the same with a couple white oaks. I've yet to find one on my property. The reds are dying from oak wilt. Not only would I get white oak acorns for the wildlife 15 years earlier than planting bareroot stock, but hopefully a couple of the acorns each year would be "planted" by mother nature providing me with seedlings for years to come.

Funny this thread pops up today. I just came from the nursery I buy my large oaks from. They have a clearance sale every August and have some great deals. They only sell to landscapers so it is a pretty small turnout for the sale. Unfortunately the sale was last week and I didn't get my flier in the mail. I have done this three times with great success. At least I am 12 for 12 on survival. The first one I did at my old house was a giant white oak over 20' tall. That one almost killed me getting the rootball straight in the hole. That was my favorite tree, it was on sale from $750 down $50. I still go by my old house to check on it. It has had acorns every year since I planted it. At my new house I planted two 18' tall red oaks. Once again very difficult to set straight and get a hole big enough for the root ball. These have been in for 5 years and have had a good acorn crop the last two years. The third time was a deal I couldn't pass up for my camp which has 0 oaks of any kind. I got 9 15-18' Burr oaks for $50 each. They were normally $300 trees. I only did it because I had my backhoe at camp that year, so I dug the holes with that. Some how they also agreed to deliver them for $45. I had the holes dug when they got there and they unloaded each tree with a forklift and drove it across a field and dropped it straight as an arrow in their hole. It took the guy 2 hours to plant all 9. These have all survived the worst two winters ever but yet to produce an acorn. I thought I lost them all this year after we had a night below freezing after they were leafed out. All the leaves turned black and shriveled up. Fortunately they all pushed out a second set of leaves. I have them across the back of a 5 acre field and they look good even if the acorns are a failure. At the rate trees grow at my place it would take 25 years to grow a seedling this big. They were estimated at 12 years old from the nursery. I would say go for it but be prepared to dig a big hole. Some of these root balls are over 3' tall and 5' across and very heavy. Although a 12' tree might not be unmanageable.
This is the Red Oak from my house. Notice I couldn't get the hole deep enough.

image.jpg

Here are two of the Burr Oaks. They have not grown much since I planted them. I am hoping with a normal spring they will start spreading their branches next year.

image.jpg

Here are two of the Burr Oaks. They have not grown much since I planted them. I am hoping with a normal spring they will start spreading their branches next year.

View attachment 7075
Chummer - with all the snow you get, those burrs have grown they are just being browsed down when the deer can stand on the snow pack!!!!!

Chummer - with all the snow you get, those burrs have grown they are just being browsed down when the deer can stand on the snow pack!!!!!
That was another reason I went this route. They have got a couple branches but most of the tree is out of their reach. The first year I planted them I was worried about that because I had a lot of deer using the place. Unfortunately after the last two winters there are only a handful of deer left. Although, I have noticed more and more leaves disappearing on my crab apple seedlings. At least they will be covered by snow for a couple more winters.

I'm starting to grow Regal Prince columnar white oak trees; I might have a very limited number of RP acorns later this month. Currently have plenty of columnar english white oak acorns (Quercus Robur Fastigiata) for sale at $10 for 30 acorns plus $6 postage (USPS priority mail).2015 Regal Prince Col WO - Copy.JPG Col English White Oak Acorns 2 - Copy.jpg