Trees vs plots???

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
I have 18 trees ranging from persimmon, chesnutts, pears of varying type, and crab and apple of varying types. Oldest trees are 4 years old. These trees are in a 1 acre plot that has been planted in either clover or fall mixes over the years. ? Is, if you can, is it wise to fill the whole thing with fruit and eventually stop planting the grains n grasses or should i do both and save some ground? I planted this week and there is still about 3/4 of an acre that was seeded. s

I was looking to order an additional 6 to 8 crabs and pear. Just want to make sure im on the right track.

One more ? Would any of you reccomend planting in yard well away from deer bedding so i can have quick easy access to fruit for cider etc.... Could always gather fruit and drop it in plots like a bait pile. I feel like if i have trees in the yard my parents could take better care of em. Thoughts? If its a bad idea its a bad idea....

You need plots along with an orchard. Due to late freezes and other catastrophic weather events, fruit trees can be a failure in any give year. Plus, deer like choices in their buffet.

And yes, by all means start you an orchard at the yard for you and your family to enjoy. For that orchard, focus more on trees that produce fruit that you would like to eat, but stay with disease resistant varieties.

Last edited:
Good deal. Makes sense. I fail to see the big picture as you can see. I think ill be adding just a few more and then run a couple in the yard.

Good deal. Makes sense. I fail to see the big picture as you can see. I think ill be adding just a few more and then run a couple in the yard.

Over 30 plus years, my couple in the yard has grown into about 75 trees. That includes about six rows and a string that runs clear down to a bedding area.

There was a deer under a chestnut crab by the house at daybreak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 18 trees ranging from persimmon, chesnutts, pears of varying type, and crab and apple of varying types. Oldest trees are 4 years old. These trees are in a 1 acre plot that has been planted in either clover or fall mixes over the years. ? Is, if you can, is it wise to fill the whole thing with fruit and eventually stop planting the grains n grasses or should i do both and save some ground? I planted this week and there is still about 3/4 of an acre that was seeded. s

Keep one thing in mind, your oldest trees are 4 years old. They will grow and hopefully you are leaving a more than adequate amount of space between them. The more sun they get the better they will produce. Keep it in clover or a flowering legume of some sort. Maybe sanfoin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will always have some food plots. However, traditional food plots are expensive in dollars and time, some more expensive than others. As I get older, I won't be able to maintain as many acres of food plots as I do now. I'm taking a broad approach including timber management to produce quality native foods. I'm converting some of my plots to "Wildlife Openings" for lack of a better term. I start with a perennial clover base in a fairly small field (sub-acre). I then plant low maintenance fruit trees in the plot. I keep them spaced out enough that I can easily mow between the rows. In my area persimmons are native and they are very low maintenance. I'm also experimenting with Tigertooth jujube grown on its own roots. I'm getting close to being able to recommend them for deer (at least for folks in my zone). I'm also using some pears and disease resistant apples along with mulberry. For nuts, I have mostly Dunstan chestnuts that I've grown from seed and Allegheny Chinquapins grow native here and I've propagated them as well. I'm also using some Dwarf Chinquapin Oaks as they produce nuts at a much younger age than most oak species.

Early in the life of the plot, after establishing the clover, I'll typically mow it once a year in the fall just as cool evening temps are favoring it. I just let it get weedy for the rest of the time and ignore it. The clover provides most of the food in the plot at this time. In my area, Durana is a good fit and lasts 7 to 10 years before it needs rotated. At that point, I'll just bushhog it flat in the fall just as cool evenings are favoring clover. I'll then drill WR and GHR into the field. I T&M buckwheat in the spring picking a very calm day to spray and keeping a safe buffer distance from the trees. I then rotate back to clover with a WR cover crop in the fall.

By this time, we are 14 to 20 years in and hopefully the trees are producing the bulk of the food. A wise choice of trees will keep fruit on the ground over a long period. At that point, I'll stop planting the field completely. I'll just let it grow up in weeds. Every 3 years or so, before the early successional growth becomes woods and too large for my bushhog, I'm bushhog it to the ground. This keeps the field in herbaceous forbs and weeds. It feeds deer and becomes a very low maintenance way to feed in the long run.

If you are young and plan to stay on the same land for the long-haul, this can be a great strategy. As I say, traditional food plots will always be a part of my management, but hopefully as smaller more manageable part as permaculture plays a greater role in the long run.

Thanks,

Jack

Eventually the clover will die off and turn to grasses in the 1 acre plot. To reseed would require you to kill the grass with glysophate, which you probably will not want to do because of the fruit trees being there. Also, you don't want to be tilling around the trees because fruit tree roots are shallow. Just mow & mulch.

I've got just over 100 trees in my orchard plot. It's planted in ladino clover, red clover, alfalfa, and has bits of chicory and wildflowers. Plenty of stuff to keep pollinators happy. I usually mow it around the first of July, then come back in mid August to spray cleth to kill any grasses, broadcast brassicas and winter rye, and mow again. The mowing will also spread the seed that has set on the clover and alfalfa.