All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree watering bags

River-X

5 year old buck +
Has anyone on the forum used those tree watering bags to help get newly planted young trees established? I see them hanging on trees in town when im at work in the spring and sometimes summer. I have been reading up on them a bit today and wondered if any of you use them.
Thanks,
River

I used some Ooze Tubes that held quite a bit of water once year when I planted bare root trees. Seemed to work OK, but I'm not sure it was worth the hassle for me. Trees did fine. Since then I've grown my own trees in a Rootmaker container system. By the time I transplant them to the field from 3 gal RB2s, they don't need supplemental water in my climate.

If you don't have a big number of trees to keep watered - try some 5 gallon buckets with 2 or 3, 1/16" holes drilled in the bottom. I did that for some of our camp trees - not all !! - and it worked fine. A full 5 gal. bucket will take a while to slowly drip-drip-drip. I put a brick in the bottom so the empty bucket wouldn't blow away when empty. You could even tie it to a stake. Even 6 to 12 trees isn't so costly at $2.89 or so at HD if you buy NEW 5 gal. buckets. Cheaper than "store-bought" watering devices.