Tree watering bags

River-X

5 year old buck +
Has anyone on the forum used those tree watering bags to help get newly planted young trees established? I see them hanging on trees in town when im at work in the spring and sometimes summer. I have been reading up on them a bit today and wondered if any of you use them.
Thanks,
River

I used some Ooze Tubes that held quite a bit of water once year when I planted bare root trees. Seemed to work OK, but I'm not sure it was worth the hassle for me. Trees did fine. Since then I've grown my own trees in a Rootmaker container system. By the time I transplant them to the field from 3 gal RB2s, they don't need supplemental water in my climate.

If you don't have a big number of trees to keep watered - try some 5 gallon buckets with 2 or 3, 1/16" holes drilled in the bottom. I did that for some of our camp trees - not all !! - and it worked fine. A full 5 gal. bucket will take a while to slowly drip-drip-drip. I put a brick in the bottom so the empty bucket wouldn't blow away when empty. You could even tie it to a stake. Even 6 to 12 trees isn't so costly at $2.89 or so at HD if you buy NEW 5 gal. buckets. Cheaper than "store-bought" watering devices.