Tree Stand Concealment

kc22

Yearling... With promise
We’ve all been there, the perfect tree but it just doesn’t have the natural cover to make it huntable. What sort of creative ideas have you used to get more cover in order to hunt it? I’ve seen the ghillie puck and have to believe some of you have some DIY ideas that are better, cheaper, and more natural. PVC, ratchet straps, zip ties, red oak branches, etc…

And not interested in the “use a saddle, put the tree between you and the deer” or “go 35’ up the tree and not worry about it” sorts of answers…lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artificial Christmas tree branches.

Yeah, I just don’t love the artificial look. Effective for sure, just hoping for something natural even if it means I have to freshen it each year.

I've never used this but have thought about getting one and trying it.

Yeah, that thing would work well I’m sure. That’s sort of what I had in mind. A ratchet strap and some cut off pvc might work about like that. Or was thinking of a ratchet strap with some sewn in daisy chain sort of thing.

Yeah, I just don’t love the artificial look. Effective for sure, just hoping for something natural even if it means I have to freshen it each year.

Real Christmas tree branches?

I have used pine and spruce branches before. Sometimes you can even leave the old brown branches and just add a few new green ones. Real ones are just a bit harder to work with than artificial. I had to use screws and nails to gold the branches on the tree.

I’ve used pine & cedar branches and that has definitely helped .

We’ve all been there, the perfect tree but it just doesn’t have the natural cover to make it huntable. What sort of creative ideas have you used to get more cover in order to hunt it? I’ve seen the ghillie puck and have to believe some of you have some DIY ideas that are better, cheaper, and more natural. PVC, ratchet straps, zip ties, red oak branches, etc…

And not interested in the “use a saddle, put the tree between you and the deer” or “go 35’ up the tree and not worry about it” sorts of answers…lol

What type of tree stand are you talking about?

For my ladder stands, I always spray paint the ladder with a camo beige paint in and alternating pattern to break up the ladder's distinct outline.

I used to wrap my wood ladder stands with green plastic snow fence and then weave in balsam branches.

I got my inspiration from one of the bowsite.com forums last year. Here are the two pictures I downloaded. I followed this approach on a
ladder blind at the cabin property last year using fresh cut brush, large zip ties and some para rope to pull up "bundles" of the brush to the blind, then used the rope to help secure things.

Although I only used the blind for three hunts, the leaves lasted most of the season, and I plan to do this again for 2024.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 5.13.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 5.16.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Cedar hood it needs for a long time. I've used it on several setups.