All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree Plug Info Wanted

M

MoBuckChaser

delete

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys prefer plug over bare root. I've been going bare root since I purchased my property 3.5 years ago.

Do you guys prefer plug over bare root. I've been going bare root since I purchased my property 3.5 years ago.
Prefer the plugs over bare root for ease of planting. If both are done correctly survival is good on both.

When it comes to depth, I plant them so the plug is below the surface and step around the plug. It works for me.

After all of that, I pray for 3 years of rain. ;)

I don't think that's a problem MBC. Planting them a bit below the soil surface and stomping 'em down worked for me this year.
Same here. I would have to imagine anything more than a couple stomps with the foot would wreck a person's productivity. Could turn your morning project into a three day project.

Plant your favorite species that are only available in bare root first. Because once you try your hand at planting plugs you'll swear planting bare root is a punishment of some sort.

If we're not successful at getting an audit, I think our group should turn our attention to campaigning for a greater variety of trees/shrubs from Itasca and NCR.

I went heavy duty on my planting bar. This thing can be a beast and make for a workout with anything bigger than a 4a plug. Having said that, still a hundred times easier and faster than a shovel. I used this one because We've got some rocks, roots, and clay to contend with.

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Gem-69041...e=UTF8&qid=1418512720&sr=8-1&keywords=kbc+bar

That is the same one I have. My soil is all rock and it worked great. Shovels are not even an option at my place, this thing was a must.

Plugs are the ticket.

Good luck with your planting

If you have ever planted bare root before you kick yourself for not going to plugs sooner. So easy and fast. Bare roots are a pain tin the butt in comparison.

I have lighter soil with a ton of rocks but I think it would work in clay. I used it in wet areas around a swamp and had no issues. Worst case, its going to clog and act like the other tools that just displace the soil to the sides. But I think it would work fine.

Do the hardwoods and shrubs do as well as plugs vs bareroot? This thread really has me considering a conifer planting, but I may mix in some other things as well.

Do the hardwoods and shrubs do as well as plugs vs bareroot? This thread really has me considering a conifer planting, but I may mix in some other things as well.

I guess I would say yes. Oak plantings for me have been average/good, not as great as conifers. However, I am planting the oak plugs on sand so I expect quite a few to not make it.

Plum and chokecherry plugs have been pretty good overall.

My ground is course, not sand, but drains well. I was looking at some of the shrubs as well as some oaks as well. I have one area in particular that is roughly 2 or 3 acres and I have avoided dealing with it simply because planting that many bare root plants by hand just hasn't been that appealing to me. Plugs may get me off my buy and get it done.

MO,
I posted this somewhere else. Can't find it now.

In our heavy soil this was the ticket. You can even get a drill extension so you don't have to bend down twice.

Just a wood boring bit. On the plus side it leaves you some dirt to fill in the whole.
The problem I ran into was that the deer wanted to nip my Norway spruce and they ended up pulling the whole plug out of the ground. I didn't have that problem with red cedars. They left them alone.

photo-1.jpg

For those looking for a apple tree plug. The Univ of Idaho nursery has common wild apple trees for $2 or so.

Plugs....easy to plant. They grow fast in the Midwest. Expect apples that are more for wildlife (not for eating) and the tree supposedly branches out thick so it would work well on windbreak type planting. I've been really happy with the survival rate.

For those looking for a apple tree plug. The Univ of Idaho nursery has common wild apple trees for $2 or so.

Plugs....easy to plant. They grow fast in the Midwest. Expect apples that are more for wildlife (not for eating) and the tree supposedly branches out thick so it would work well on windbreak type planting. I've been really happy with the survival rate.
Any pictures bwoods?

Any pictures bwoods?

I think I do somewhere, I'll look on my computer for one. I guessing some are 7-8 feet after 4 years

I planted some of these last year, I also have planted some of the other plugs they have. I don't think I'll ever plant a bareroot seedling again, for me plugs are the way to go. Here's there website http://seedlings.uidaho.com/