Tree plot ?

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
I had a property consult a few weeks ago online, it was a skeleton plan from Steve Bartyllas group. I have a 65 acre piece in hill country SE Ohio. I explained i have a 1.3 acre field in the center of the ground and then I have a few small eighth acre kill plots scattered on the travel corridors that serve as good rut cruising, they kind of circle the center plot but are all well away from it. The 1.3 acre is usually planted in fall grains, the last two years ive planted each end in fruit trees to include 4 whitney, 5 keifer, enterprise, 3 varying drop persimmon, and couple dr deer pear.

Heres my ? To u experts, would u supplement thos travel lines by adding a few crabs and or pear to the kill plots or just beefen up the main field. From an access and pressure standpoint it makes sense to strategically place them in the kill plots but i know that lessens the value of the destination. The main field access is also so so, im pretty sure it will get burnt up quick. I was told by the habitat guy to go for it planting the smaller plots, how do you all see it?

Im in southern arizona for the next 10 years till i retire so im trying to get things in order now so i can have fun then. Right now i get a week in november to hunt it and thats it for the year.

I would plant them for sure. You can always remove them later, but I doubt you will. I am a big believer in diversity. The more options, the better. I even plant flowers in my vegetable garden just to give the pollinators some variety.

If you want to kill mature bucks, never do anything to ruin undetected access. Otherwise, I love fruit trees everywhere.

Thanks a bunch, the area i am looking at has three small plots on a line of movement thats about 500 yards long. A portion is powerline so ill have to drop a couple trees carefully to manage the openings safely on it. Does three crab trees sound like a good start for a small 1/8 acre plot?

Thanks a bunch, the area i am looking at has three small plots on a line of movement thats about 500 yards long. A portion is powerline so ill have to drop a couple trees carefully to manage the openings safely on it. Does three crab trees sound like a good start for a small 1/8 acre plot?

Sure, three good crabs are a goldmine.

New to the site. What crab would you all reccomend. I was looking at blue hill and trying to gear drops around november. Anywhere else i should look?

Blue Hill is a great place to get crabs from. I've got trees from him and there great. Give Ryan a call and he'll be more than happy to recommend some varieties for your situation. Northern whitetail crabs is another. I've never ordered from them but there's plenty of guys here who have and like them.

New to the site. What crab would you all reccomend. I was looking at blue hill and trying to gear drops around november. Anywhere else i should look?
WoodDuck mentioned Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery and like he said he (Ryan) would be a good person to go to for what you need plus information. You asked about a good variety of crabapple to get for the drop time you want, something to consider would be diversity from varieties of crabapples with different qualities that will optimize your odds of having plenty of fruit on the ground when you need it. With spring cold spells and freezes becoming ever more unpredictable a few different varieties can be like a good insurance policy. I think I attached a picture of his drop chart.

Attachments

• 7344E9CD-447A-443D-B01B-7CBE208620B2.png
    7344E9CD-447A-443D-B01B-7CBE208620B2.png
    696.6 KB · Views: 35
In order to get apples sooner than later does anyone have a reccomendation for a tree type or two types?

I would put liberty and chestnut crab high on the list.

Also any bang for your buck crab that can be used for draw and for cider or wine? Gotta keep busy when im done with my tour.

I’d put the trees in a location where they get the most sun throughout the day. Without 5/6 hours of sun, i don’t see good growth to them. I’ve planted trees in bad locations and results weren’t good and a total waste. As long as the trees are on your property, you are still attracting deer. You don’t need to hunt right by the tree, but set up on travel routes to the trees. If we all wanted a tree full of apples in our ideal location, it probably wouldn’t grow well due to lack of enough sunlight throughout the day. Just my opinion.

Dolgo crabs are also a site favorite. I actually just saw some at Mill's Fleet Farm today for $15 each. They were each about 4 footers.

I would have to look but you should be in a fairly similar zone as I am....as such, all I can do is tell you that I have planted some Dolgo and Chestnut crabs along with some Liberty, Enterprise, Yates and Arkansas Black apples in an effort to try to get apples into November (mine are all still young and have not produced fruit yet - purchased from Turkey Creek Nursery out of Nebraska - he is a member here). Something to keep in mind is if you spread the food out....you spread the deer out. I would focus my efforts on my best spots based on hunting access and r the main winds during that time of the year in your area. These places you will be less likely to burn out....no point in putting in a fruit tree you can't really hunt that well....you just educate the deer that way. All just my 2 cents worth...

Like stated above, liberty and chestnut crabs. Also some of those later crabs from bluehill. Sunlight is important. Are you sure the kill plots receive enough

I am quite the opposite as some. I have put in over 30 fruits trees the last 2 years and I can’t hunt over a single one of them. They are all in one location in a big field with the best soil and all the sun the trees could want. When the time comes that they start producing fruit I know where the deer will be heading in the evening and I will hunt accordingly. I don’t want access or a stand near something attractive like a fruit tree. A deer is likely to show up anytime day or night to check for freshly dropped fruit. Bust that out a few times and you are only asking for trouble.

Can’t go wrong with crabs from Blue hill or Northern Whitetail Crabs.

Ive got a plot that i divide up by screen that receives early morning sun through late afternoon. Its 400 yards from my main plot where all my above mentioned trees are planted and its right behind my parents house so simple access. It has a good history of moving bucks through it during daylight. I feel like adding fruit will only strengthen it and keep me from burning up the property by punching into the middle where my already planted orchard is. This is a tough call but i have time on my side. Ill be rereading this thread quite a bit.... Does blue hill sell oit really quick?

Yes. His tree sales begin Sept 1st and last year he sold out of most varieties quickly.

Also any bang for your buck crab that can be used for draw and for cider or wine? Gotta keep busy when im done with my tour.
Mattyq , you are also interested in getting more bang from your trees by getting some fruit from your trees for cider, there is a thread or two maybe more on here that is about cider and crabapple trees that some prefer. Check Sandbur out , I think you can do a member search and find some of the threads he is on , a lot of cider makers on here dual purpose their crabapples. Maybe someone on here will catch your cider question and help you find the right thread.

KyRose is correct, the name of his thread is called the Crabapple Timeline.