Treads for Treated wood steps

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Treated wood steps are slick when wet. What would be something inexpensive and good to put on them to prevent slipping? A friend of mine suggested chicken wire. Your thoughts?

Spray adhesive and sand

they sell pre made anti slip inserts, good ones are not cheap
see link for examples
but if you plan to have stand for yrs, they are worth the cost as you can always unscrew them and reuse again else where!

if your handy I gather you can make your own with some aluminum and a thin blade on an angle grinder
maybe even some perforated metal too?
or like that metal screen for cement they sell at large chain stores

use some heavy duty stainless steel staples, so they don't rot off in the treated wood
same as what ever fastener you use, make sure its rated for treated wood!

I don't think I would trust stick on anti slip stuff, due to elements it will be exposed too!!~

Anything stick on will not stick decently to treated lumber. I would sand it get it as dry as possible and paint it with a high quality exterior paint and sprinkle sand into it. It has to be a dry sand like.silica, not sand box sand. This would stick for a couple years maybe and would need to be reapplied.
The trick is to get it as dry as possible before painting it. Epoxy paint would be best if you're comfortable with it.

I've seen old outdoor/marine carpet used, but I don't like how it holds water and will freeze. My number one would be raised expanded metal, or a serrated bar grating tread. Neither are super cheap. If you have an air stapler, get some of the longest STAINLESS staples you can find and turn your air pressure low enough that they stay 3/16-1/4" proud and just staple the heck out of it. a fella could probably so the same with a whole mess of 1/4" dia lag screws, just fill the tread up to make texture.

Is this for a treestand or something that you don't care about how it looks? If so, I think I would take a circular saw and make very shallow parallel cuts in a diagonal pattern (like checkering on a rifle stock) on the steps....maybe and inch or two apart. Never tried it before...but I wonder if it would be an inexpensive solution that would provide just enough friction to make the steps a little safer when wet.

It's probably a layer of algae that's growing on the wood. Clean but wet teeated wood shouldn't be slippery. If you can, try power washing the treads. TSP and a scrub brush will clean the algae, but you'd still need to rinse it well.

Is this for a treestand or something that you don't care about how it looks? If so, I think I would take a circular saw and make very shallow parallel cuts in a diagonal pattern (like checkering on a rifle stock) on the steps....maybe and inch or two apart. Never tried it before...but I wonder if it would be an inexpensive solution that would provide just enough friction to make the steps a little safer when wet.

Natty, it's for the steps up into a tower blind. The steps are steeper than regulation stairs for homes, so there is a little more danger than normal. I have a good handrail and always use caution, but I noticed a few days ago how slick the steps can get in the rain. As others have pointed out, cleaning them would help, but that is hard to do at this location out in the field.

Lots of you have given some good ideas, and your ideas are appreciated. Keep the ideas coming if anyone comes up with something new. At some point I will think about the options and decide what to do. I also thought of asphalt shingles, but doubt they would last long on something that was used all the time - but might last a long time at a deer blind.

Not to be "that guy" but I would be careful how deep you cut the treated wood and how many extra fasteners you use. Treated doesnt always mean its treated all the way through ( menards treated lumber is good for this) only the outer little bit is actually teated and the inner portion didnt get anything. Hate to see it prematurely rot on you. Especially from the inside out.

I’d probably just staple some rabbit wire down on the top of each step. I think 1/2” rabbit wire would be pretty non-slip for on the cheap and the raised expanded metal a spectacular fix if you don’t mind spending a bit more coin and time on fabrication.

Rolled roofing, just cut it into strips to fit and nail, staple or screw it down.

check Amazon or anywhere that sells canning supplies, get some regular bottle caps, like you would take off a beer or a coke, use a short shingle nail. Nail bottle caps upside down onto steps. If “too raised up for your liking“, squash it a bit with the hammer
should just need a few or four for each step. Critters won’t chew on them and even with a thin layer of ice, they still work

I've seen something like this used. Cut into strips and tacked down. Actually, I think it was those mats that you put down on carpet, so an office chair can roll on. They turned the dimpled side up and nailed down strips of it. But, this stair runner might be easier.

Get some army green latex paint put it on thick and put dry sand on it thick over top with paint still wet.
Work your way down top to bottom. Let nature clean off excess sand.

Look into non slip boat deck material. It is relatively cheap and can be cut to size. Most will come with an adhesive backing that will allow you to easily attach it to the steps. This web site will give you an idea of what I am talking about.