Training Young Apple Trees

Wild Thing

5 year old buck +
The series of videos this guy (Steven Edholm) has produced contain virtually everything you want to know about growing, training, pruning, and grafting apple trees. If you have apple trees, it will be time well-spent to sit down and view these videos.

Since it is that time of the year, I would suggest that you start with this one:

This is the Future of Home Fruit Tree Training...

LEARN ORCHARD SKILLS! Tree Training, Growing, Grafting, Tasting

Last edited:
He has some videos on apple breeding as well. Works a lot with the Etter varieties. He's produced some interesting ones the past few years including one he calls Black Strawberry.

I really enjoy the content that Steven puts out. He's entertaining and informative. His approach to tree training has helped me look at my practices in a different perspective.

What he is saying does make sense.

But he sure is not shy about taking limbs off. I'd be inclined to leave a few more limbs to capture more sunlight/Photosynthesis to nourish the tree over the summer, and store more energy over the winter for next years growth spurt. I may try some of these techniques on a less grand scale. (Lol... I'm chicken to go all in!)

Great links Wild Thing.