Tractor post hole digger/auger, couple questions.

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
All,
I'm getting ready to purchase a tractor posthole digger. We got quotes to have fence posts put up for our horse pasture and got quite the sticker shot...we were quoted $3500 dollars to put in 90 posts. The person would be using a posthole driver which is definitely good and provides rock solid ground for the post but dang that's a lot of cash for 90 posts. I see many posthole augers cost about 400-700$ and then posts would cost us about 9 dollars a post where I live so about 810$. Much easier pill to swallow but I do understand it is a lot of work. My question is, how the heck is the post hole auger going to dig a hole on uneven surfaces which would allow you to level your post? For example, my field is half on a hill. I understand the tractor allows the post auger to swing back and forth so then if the tractor is faced up hill, the auger will still want swing out a little due to gravity and keep it level but what happens when I go to do the part of the fence that is going parallel with the hill...for example the tractors left side is down hill and the right side is up hill? This means the auger will now be digging not level. I hope I am explaining this properly. Also, if we are putting in 4 and 5 inch round posts, what size hole should we be digging?

Thanks!

The auger swings in all directions so it’s self plumb. But I suggest you get or make a plumb bob and just keep checking the auger as you dig. 2-3 person job to set posts makes it a whole lot easier I imagine

Yep it swings. And after a few you’ll realize you have to start the auger away from the tractor a bit unlevel. It makes up for the auger being pulled towards the tractor as it goes down and gives you a straighter hole.

I find sometimes a hole will be dug at an angle. I use an auger that is large enough in diameter compared to the post that I have room to level the post in the hole. I just pour dry cement in after leveling. It draws moisture from the surrounding soil. I have not had issues with posts moving but I have heavy clay soils. Your local farmers will know what works best. in your soils.

Also if you are having to hold straight use a shovel and keep all cloths and arms away from auger and PTO.Get tamping rods to tamp around posts

Are these going to be all wood posts? I would consider renting a track skid loader and a post hole auger on it. Those three point augers are a real pain with no down pressure. Also if you are using some steel posts you can use the loader and just push them in.

Are these going to be all wood posts? I would consider renting a track skid loader and a post hole auger on it. Those three point augers are a real pain with no down pressure. Also if you are using some steel posts you can use the loader and just push them in.
They will all be wood posts for a horse pasture. I have inquired about renting a skid loader but they want 800$ for a weekend (This will take us way longer than a weekend since we will end up doing about 160 posts). The tractor is free and my buddy will lend us his 3pt auger to get us started. I might buy my own if it goes ok in our soil. We have all summer to get it done since the horse wont be here until next summer so im not worried about speed.

Always try to position the tractor directly up or down hill from the digging location. Dont position the tractor parallel to the hill if you can help it. This will allow the auger to dig a more or less straight vertical hole. If you are using six inch posts with a 9” auger, you will also have a little room for error to level the post. You will probably need to also do a little hand work with post hole digger on each hole to clean it out or shave the sides.

Once you set the corners and pull a wire to establish the straight line. Take a spade or manual post hole shovel and mark where you want the pole. Then pull the wire back a few feet and 2 guys can easily set 25-30 poles in about an hour. As fast as you can tamp a pole in the other can dig the next. It generally takes as long to set the corners, mark the holes and layout the poles as it does to put them in. We also use a one-man auger (~$220.00) with an 8" (~70.00) bit. For the 8' poles you will need an extension (~40.00) on the one-man auger and some 3-point augers you will still need to dig a foot or so on 8-foot poles. Use a split 2x4 or an 8-foot scrape of 2x2 for a tamping pole. We have set poles using both methods. Also, a 5-foot pole, with marks for pole height and wire spacing (hammer length also works) will assure that your poles and wire is uniform. 1-man auger has lots of uses such as holes for trees using a smaller bit. Normally corners are 5" to 8" x 8 foot and 3 1/2" x 6 1/2' for the rest. If you are setting in an area where the pole rides up (wet conditions) wrap the base of the pole in barbed wire.